New to Pathfinders

PathFound

As a 2nd vehicle I decided to buy a Pathfinder for off-road/camping use. It's a 1991 Pathfinder 5-speed. It has 243,000 kilometers on the clock. Everything runs good though and the body is in perfect shape with original paint. I intend to check (and possibly replace) the timing belt, exhaust manifold bolts, and change the tranny fluid.

I love this truck! I look forward to reading and posting on this forums. And I can't wait to get the Pathfinder dirty!

Hello and Welcome... perhaps this sould be in the "New People Start Here!" section

Oh well.. WAVEY

I intend to check (and possibly replace) the timing belt...
They are cheap just change it, then you KNOW when it needs it again :aok:

I live in Squamish, British Columbia - mountain territory. There's a lot of places I want to explore with the Pathfinder. And I intend to take tips to snowy Whistler this winter.

My Pathfinder was driven in the Vancouver lower mainland region where there's no snow and they don't salt the road, so the body has no rust and the undercarraige is good. No rusted frame.

I hope I can change the timing belt myself. I am no expert, but pretty good with a wrench. It's been a while since I worked on any vehicle.

welcome pathfound...you'll love your pathy even more as time passes =D

you'll be fine. read here and the garage section.. between them they're like a FSM.. lol... we're always here to help  :beer:

no joke there =) seriously, these guys and gals are EXTREMELY helpful.

They are cheap just change it, then you KNOW when it needs it again 

definitely...i did the same when i got my pathy used, although i didn't do it myself...was kind of scared to go fooling around with a truck that i've never touched before. now that i'm more familiar i'll probably do it myself next time around. never done a t-belt replacement before, but knowing that these folks have my back, i'll whip out the tools and do it myself.

Edited by QuismO

Haha, the dealer shined it up nicely. So much Armor-all on the plastic it felt greasy! I'm getting it dirty this weekend. I already tried the 4x4 over a sandy incline.

My question is: How do I engage the other 4wd settings? On the shift knob it says:

2H

4H

N

4L

I drive in 2-wheel drive for normal pavement and only engage the 4x4 for gravel. But it seems the shift handle is either forward (2H) or rearward (4H). How is 4L engaged?

I realize this is a stupid question but I didn't get a vehicle manual!

Check your sunvisor...

With mine, you can pull back to 4H, then you have to push it down to pull back to N & 4L.

same way for the older pathys ;) 2H and 4H straight back then push down and back to the right for N and 4L ;)