02 to 04 maxima

tecciball

Hey Pathians.

I have noticed a few people mention Maximas here. I am interested in getting an 02 or 03 SE (VQ) with a manual tranny. Any advice on known issues. I have heard a bit about coils, ECU program errors, and oil consumption, but not many details on any issue.

Thoughts or personal experiences would be much appreciated.

something happened in 2000 though because there are 64 TSBs for that year.

01-60 TSBs

02-51 TSBs

pre 2000 they all had 40+ a year.

here are a couple of examples from '00:

Service Bulletin Num : 02007

Date of Bulletin: JAN 08, 2002

Component: STRUCTURE: BODY: DOOR

Summary: CONCERNS WITH ALL DOORS INTERMITTENTLY LOCKING BY THEMSELVES :o

Service Bulletin Num : 01071

Date of Bulletin: OCT 17, 2001

Component: SEATS

Summary: SUBJECT REGARDING DRIVER'S SEAT MOVING FROM SIDE TO SIDE :o

most of 2000, seem minor but stuff seems to be falling off that model.. a few electrical/electronic issues too.

I have had my 01 for a few months now. It also has the VQ engine but 3.0 instead of 3.5... 222hp instead of 255hp...

I have heard many things about the oil consumption with the 3.5, enough to make me worry. I'm an avid member of Maxima.org and there have been enough with oil comsumption in the 2 months I have been a member. Many conspiracy theories about the cause, but many have it, some more than other.

The 3.5 is nice. REAL nice, you know you have the 3.5... The 6Spd feels a bit notchy (I drove two when looking for mine) Unfortunately, both where out of my range. The 01 5Spd feels very smooth and has more than ample power. Though that extra gear is nice.

Just make sure you check the oil...

Edited by rmd0311

We had a 2001 GXE from new to 72,000 miles. Absolutely fantastic car...I will go out and say it was the most reliable car we've ever owned. Great power and very roomy too.

I'm thinking about a 2001 SE 5-speed right now...it's the only Jap car on my shopping list.

I'm just going to say it, don't overlook other brands. As I've said before, I'm a Bimmerhead so... :D