Need help with some noises

gasouthern

I have a 5 spd. 95 pathfinder SE v6. In first gear, I will begin to take off and start moving while I am releasing the clutch, and all of a sudden (from the rear end or rear middle) I hear and feel a pop. Don't notice it in any other gear, just when I take off from a dead stop. I do tow a boat and 4 wheeler quite frequently. It feels as if the lug nuts are loose and they are popping when I hit the gas (even though they are tight). It has been doing this for a long while. Also, when I turn, the drivers side rear wheel well has a squeeking rubber sound (sounds like a warped rubber disk, but only notice it when I turn). Not too familiar with these rear ends, is it a limited slip? As far as I know everything is still stock. I checked the rear end oil level, and it is full (the oil is dark blueish in color, but not burnt). If anyone has experienced anything like this and could help me out in pin pointing the problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

P.S. I took the Pathfinder into a Nissan dealership for an alignment about 6 months ago and mentioned the problem. The mechanic told me it was my bumper stops on my suspension bottoming out. My truck doesn't even sit that low, but he seemed to think it was a problem with the suspension, but in order for those stops to hit, my truck would be pretty well slammed low in the back.

have you checked you u joints? i have the same issue and am still hunting.. mine has actually stopped doing it now but it was weird.

also, check your tranny support, make sure it's tight. i hear the tranny mount/support can get worn and sag causing movement...

have you checked you u joints? i have the same issue and am still hunting.. mine has actually stopped doing it now but it was weird.

also, check your tranny support, make sure it's tight. i hear the tranny mount/support can get worn and sag causing movement...

I checked the U joints and everything was ok. I didn't check the tranny mount though, but it sounds like it is coming from the rear. Thanks for the suggestion

check the stabilizer bar drop links. mine are worn out and pop in 1st gear, especially off camber/incline. then check all the other bushings.. there are a few.. visually and also put your hands on stuff and shake it.. if it's loose, it's shot. everything should be tight.

oh, most are LSDs but check for an orange sticker (maybe hard to see if your diff is really dirty) if no sticker search for LSD id procedures, it may be in one of the garage sections..

Edited by mzxtreme

check the stabilizer bar drop links. mine are worn out and pop in 1st gear, especially off camber/incline. then check all the other bushings.. there are a few.. visually and also put your hands on stuff and shake it.. if it's loose, it's shot. everything should be tight.

oh, most are LSDs but check for an orange sticker (maybe hard to see if your diff is really dirty) if no sticker search for LSD id procedures, it may be in one of the garage sections..

Ours are worn out too but make a clunk/wobble sound at random, usually going over a bump or accelerating abruptly

Are the stabalizer drop links the links at the end of the long bar that attaches from the frame to the rear axle? Do you have any idea on the rubber bushings squeeking sound coming from the drivers' side rear wheel well? Thanks for the reply

The best way to see what's making noise is to get under there with some good light and start moving the vehicle back and forth. Get a friend to help push the body while you watch things move. Do some bench presses on the underside and watch it bounce. Most broken parts are quite obvious and easy to find if you just get under there and look. That'd be a better place to start than just asking what it is/might be from a bunch of people scattered across the world...we can debate about what it might be all day long.

• 4 weeks later...
The best way to see what's making noise is to get under there with some good light and start moving the vehicle back and forth. Get a friend to help push the body while you watch things move. Do some bench presses on the underside and watch it bounce. Most broken parts are quite obvious and easy to find if you just get under there and look. That'd be a better place to start than just asking what it is/might be from a bunch of people scattered across the world...we can debate about what it might be all day long.

haha i like this guy :)