Clutch Question

lgranch

I have just completed a search on the forum and I did not find anything that could help on this one. The 95 Pathy that we just finished the head gaskets on just stopped going, forward or reverse. This is a manual tranny. Coming off the highway , pushing in the clutch and putting it into 1st there was a quiet dull thunk. Then nothing. The motor runs fine, the shift moves smooth in every gear even with the motor running. With the boot off the interior you can hear the gears shifting in the tranny. It is not the transfer case that has been verified. There is NO NOISE at all, no grinding, no whining, no clunks, no nothing. If the tranny input shaft blew like the one posted on the forum awhile ago there has to be some noise.

There was no previous indications that the clutch was badly worn, but a clutch failure should make some grinding noise or something. This is like the clutch is just disengaged. Slave cylinder failure should fail engaged not disengaged. Before we just start stripping it apart any suggestions on what to check for???

I have been though so much this year I really do not want to have a clutch job to do.

You're looking at a helluva job regardless.

Is there pressure on the clutch pedal when you push it?

...If not it is possible the slave rod is jammed.

Could you have possibly bent the fork?

...Have you been offroad or maybe hit something onroad that may have flung up?

Keep us posted.

Hmm, sounds like it's internal alright. First, have someone step on the clutch and observe the slave cylinder push on the throw out bearing fork. Watch for 'normal' range travel. I'll assume the slave is working correctly.

Does the slave cylinder back all the way off of the fork, like the fork is not completing its travel ? I'm guessing it is something like some fingers came off of the pressure plate and are bound up inbetween the throw out bearing or something like that. Your clutch plate could have come apart if it was down to the rivets, letting the friction pads fall off. It would feel like the clutch was engaged...

If the slave cylinder is working fine, I'm sure it's on the inside...

B

I've been doing alot of checking in the past few days. It appears that the clutch is still together and there is good tension on the fork. This leads me to believe that it is the input shaft.

Any idea where I can get an input shaft. I ask because the local Nissan dealers just do not want to even look up the parts for older vehicles.