upper radiator hose

Guest joepistritto

Guest joepistritto

Hi,

I just notice that my VG30E Pathy has a coolant leak. I found the source to be the upper radiator hose. It does not look like there's a lot of room to work there to replace it. What do I need to do to get to it to replace it? For those of you who have done this before, how long would it take to get this replaced?

TIA!

-j

well, if it's the hose i THINK you're talking about...... i have done it. it's the upper bypass hose (proper name) and it's a PITA but doable. hint... the hose you buy at a parts store is not EXACTLY the same and will need to be cut.... cut it to size.. don't give it any extra length. also, use hose clamps to tighten the new hose. the clamps nissan put in there will get destroyed out of frustrationa and impatience... hehehe.. at least, mine did. :unsure:

here are some pics of the bugger in question. (3 weeks after i did this job i actually pulled the motor :mellow:

i ended up cutting the blown hose in half for easier removal.... then with the new hose a little lube to help it along around the outer edge of the hose and put the bottom on first then the top.. don't forget the hose clamps!

the fuel line section of the FI rail will actually be your biggest PITA.... it's kinda in the way P...

and disconnect the yellow sensor wire.... that'll be in the way too..... and it's kinda delicate...

BypassHoseLocaleTopCloseUp-1.jpg

BypassHoseLocalefromTop1.jpg

I could tell ya some big romantic story bout it...but I'll save ya...I had an engine fire from that very fuel line! I smelled gas that morning and that evening driving up a long hill here in southern oregon...POOF!

also, ...even if you get the fire out yourself (with your handy dandy fire extinguisher) pull your battery cables off your battery before the firetrucks show up...they will cut right through them!

I't's a mess to clean up and replace wiring, hoses, hood liner, etc etc etc....sooo please check that lil' hose esp. if you smell gas when starting your pathy!

Thinkin' bout that makes me wanna go -alcohol- and :hide:

That little fuel line had to be replaced on my 91 yesterday..... Little tinnnny tiny cut, dont know how it got there....

i changed the fuel line on both ends of the rail when i swapped motors :P

i changed the fuel line on both ends of the rail when i swapped motors

So did I... Explains the 16 mpg...... 19 on the way back And you should hear it rip @ 5K...

The little Ricer did not know what hit him :bow:

I finally pulled my bypass hose out this evening. I was really pushing my luck with the old one in there at 150k. Those clamps were a pain!!! Not to mention trying to get the hose and clamps out of that cramped space. I haven't disconnected the small gas line just yet. I pulled the old pieces of hose out the bottom side after removing the belt pully tensioner, but I can tell that it is going to be a pain to put the new one in. Is it better to approach putting the new bypass hose in from the top or bottom?? After reading these other posts, I am going to replace that small gas line...is it just regular gas line hose, or is it a special Nissan hose?? Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I finally pulled my bypass hose out this evening.  I was really pushing my luck with the old one in there at 150k.  Those clamps were a pain!!!  Not to mention trying to get the hose and clamps out of that cramped space.  I haven't disconnected the small gas line just yet.  I pulled the old pieces of hose out the bottom side after removing the belt pully tensioner, but I can tell that it is going to be a pain to put the new one in.  Is it better to approach putting the new bypass hose in from the top or bottom??  After reading these other posts, I am going to replace that small gas line...is it just regular gas line hose, or is it a special Nissan hose??  Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

as i stated.. put the bottom of the hose on first. the top you have more maneuverability, and make SURE it is ALL THE WAY ON..... you don't want any more leaky leaky ;) don't forget to put BOTH clamps on BEFORE you install that hose.. trust me...

as for the fuel line.. you must use high pressure fuel line (i paid 89 cents and inch) :furious: and clamp the fuel lines... cuz they're... under pressure.......

Edited by Slick

Hey Slick...thanks for all the advise. Finally got the bypass hose, new fuel line, and radiator in this evening. Great advise on tons of lubrication on the hose. The new hose clamps also helped out tremendously in installing the new hose because you can move them around much easier on the hose than the stock Nissan ones.

I give the middle finger salute to whoever at Nissan designed the placement of that hose.

Now that you've done that, tackle the oil cooler hose on a '92 Ford F-350 with 460 gasser. Same 90 degree arrangement, but the fittings are even closer. The gap is 3/16" between the tips. And since the hose is 1/8" thick, a little math let's you figure out how likely it is to fit.

Have to literally pull the water pump to install the hose. Joy.