VG30E timing question

lgranch

I have rebuilt lots of VG30Es But the every one seems alittle different. The latest is the 1995 in my son's pathy. He is now out of jail and the motor is finished and running. The distributor is turned as far counter clockwise as it can go. The engine is running fine, however most of the motors I rebuild have the proper timing position about in the middle of the distributor adjustment range. Did I miss something. If I pull the dizzy and move it one tooth the other way I think I will just see the same problem only turned all the way clockwise.

I know you forum people have seem this before, so what is up??? Slick you have seen just about every problem imaginable....so?

as above. it seems more in the belt than the dizzy, but as you say, every VG30 is different. check all your timing marks, and connections to the dist cap.

was the motor at TDC for SURE when you did the belt? is it too loose? too tight?

i know my truck has to be exact TDC or she runs like dookie. very fussy engine in mine.

check the wires comin off the dist too..... maybe the ground isn't very good? cap loose? bad plug wire?

Had the same problem. The teeth were lined up properly on the camshafts, but the crankshaft was 1 tooth off......it ran okay......and timing was fine, with the distributor all the way to the top..... NOthing really to worry about as I had my T-belt like that for 6 months, and about 15-20,000Kms with no ill effects.

I want to thank all of you who replied. You had me doubt my work and that is good, never get too sure of yourself it leads to trouble.

Well the T belt and the cam timing was perfect from the start. There was no problem there. The problem was with the distributor. On this motor the dizzy can not go back in based on TDC. I adjusted the postion by one tooth which should have severly retarded the timing. Instead the timing was perfect. This means that something internal in the motor is either misaligned or put in wrong. Since I only did the heads on this motor and did not completely dissasemble it I do not know which is the issue.

The pathy is now running fine and the engine revs clean throughout the entire rpm range.

I want to thank all of you who replied. You had me doubt my work and that is good, never get too sure of yourself it leads to trouble.

Well the T belt and the cam timing was perfect from the start. There was no problem there. The problem was with the distributor. On this motor the dizzy can not go back in based on TDC. I adjusted the postion by one tooth which should have severly retarded the timing. Instead the timing was perfect. This means that something internal in the motor is either misaligned or put in wrong. Since I only did the heads on this motor and did not completely dissasemble it I do not know which is the issue.

The pathy is now running fine and the engine revs clean throughout the entire rpm range.

:cool2: excellent. glad you got it all worked out. -bounce-