help 87 running hot

Guest drift1

Guest drift1

I have an 87 pathfinder with a 4cyl. When I drive on the highway it gets hot and makes a crackling sound?? :confused: But in town driving it doesn't get hot and only crackles at full throttle.. Any suggestions on what to check or fix would help..

Just a WAG, but check your fan clutch. If its seized, it'll pull air normally around town and at low speeds but could actually block some air flow at highway speeds. Does your Pathy sound like a bus under acceleration?

Thats the Z2.4 motor ???

Sounds like it may be pinging (timing too far advanced) which makes it run hotter. You may be able to adjust the dizzy or it could be the timing chain having slop... :shrug:

Is your radiator clean inside and out ? How old is your thermostat ? Crackling sound comes from under the hood ?

B

Guest drift1

Yes Z24i motor. Going to put in new thermostat and fresh antifreeze. Adjusted timing to 10btc and still makes crackling sound under accleration half to full throttle. Have run 92 octane with same results. Checked fuel psi and its good. Does anyone know how many turns on the air/fuel screw?? Any way to richen up the engine?? THANKS

I'll check my manual tomorrow to see if it covers your engine...

it could be the timing chain having slop...

This was the case with my D720 with the Z24 motor when I sold it. Timing chain needed replacement at 160k. How many miles on yours ? It would low idle a little rough and run slightly advanced at high idle. Does the low idle timing mark jump around ? Not much of a cure but to change it. Crackle isn't a good description, but what is... Hard to diagnose without being there.

B

seized fan clutch? son of a.. maybe that's what's up with mine.. driving around all you hear from the engine bay is the fan. The other day I lost the fan/alternator belt, and I could actually hear the motor.. sounded kinda beefy. :D was thinking of swapping in an electric fan, but it may just be the fan clutch, after all... that "sounds like a bus under acceleration" just made me smack my forehead.

sorry for the thread hijack...