more aftermarket stereo wiring questions

Guest jcatlin

Guest jcatlin

1997 Pathfinder stock stereo (not the bose)

The stock deck is ok and I wouldn't even bother with it right now except that it is really freaking out on CDs. Sits there and "chunks" away anytime I put a cd in, no matter the quality of CD, and can't play or eject. Eventually it will let me play or eject the disc, but this can take upwards of 15-20 minutes in some cases. That's totally unacceptable. I'm sure I could clean the lens and get better results, but even on the rare occasion that a disc has worked right away it still really "chunks" into place and I'd just rather have a new deck.

I've read the notice thread about installing aftermarket stereos: Installing an aftermarket stereo There're a couple things I'm still not clear on. Keep in mind that I've never installed a car stereo before ;)

From what I've read it seems like a good idea to bypass the stock amps. Should be a cleaner signal that way and better power management. I plan on buying an entry level quality deck (looking at clarion right now because of the very clean appearance and features.) I'll get the wiring harness and I'm fairly good with electronics when I have to be so this shouldn't be too much of a problem to install.

My question really is what are the options for bypassing the stock amps? This is where I'm not clear. I'd like to avoid running new wire to the speakers if I can avoid it. Yes I'm going with the stock speakers for now, but that's more a financial issue than anything else ;)

Thanks for any info you can provide!

-j-

You can also try to figure out the outputs from the amps in the rear quarter panel, and splice into them, but it's time consuming, and you'll still have to get wires from the new deck, to the rear quarter, so it's easiest to run new wires. Run a little heavier guage as well, to accomodate higher wattage amp, and, possibly in the future, speakers. Also, you MUST get crossovers for the front tweeters or you will blow them if you turn up your stereo. That's because the crossover for them is in the amp.

Good luck.

Yup, its a real pain to figure out the wiring at the amps. I did that at first, and then later went back and re-wired the hole thing after all. And for the crossovers, you can go with simple passive ones that run in-line. They're less than $10 a set at Best Buy, probably Radio Shack too. If you run an aftermarket amp, it most likely will have the crossover built in though.

Guest jcatlin

Thanks for the replies. Here's another question, though I'm almost afraid to ask it ;) How "bad" an idea would it be to run an aftermarket deck through the existing Pathfinder amps? I understand the dangers here and that turning up the volume too far could easily blow the stock speakers, but still. Is it an "ok" option or just bad all around?

Ok yes I'm feeling a bit unmotivated at the prospect of rewiring the speakers right now :P

-j-

Guest jcatlin

Well I'm an impatient sort so I just ordered a cd deck plus a "fancy" wiring harness. I say fancy because this one has the built in gain control for running an aftermarket receiver through existing factory amps. I know I paid more than I absolutely had to by getting this piece, but I figure this way I'll have it installed with minimal risk very quickly.

-j-