Need help w/ front suspension

Z_Pilot

Hey all.

I had a hybrid lift installed and I think it worked out pretty good.

> BDS springs & T-bars

> Old Man Emu shocks

> Superlift UCA's

However, the guy that installed it left the front at stock height (more or less) saying that the suspensiuon would move freely...

I had to move and did not have time to screw with it, so I drove across the country with the rear end roughly 2.5" lifted and the front 1/2" lifted :huh:

Yeah, it looked dumb, but rode very, very nicely.

As soon as I got to my temporary destination (NW NM), I had a shop crank up those torsion bars to lift the front porportionally to the rear.

(see pic this post)

As you can see, it looks OK now, but the ride is terrible :angry:

I don't mean that the ride is terrible as in the shocks or springs are too stiff, but the front suspension does not absorb shock....it just bounces like one of those gay-ass lowered thug-rides :huh:

The ride is so un-natural, I am afraid that I am going to break something.

As you might be able to see in the pictures in the following posts, the UCA is "resting" on the frame & the UCA is touching the shock.

What's the solution for the lifted front end?

I can't see where any diffrernt -sized bumpstops will make any diffrernce...

Please help, :shrug:

Z

post-6-1153331815.jpg

After I put in the 2" lift springs in the rear(thanks DaveC) I also adjusted my T-bar's...

Stock adjustment on the t-bars is 3.03" of bolt above the lock nut, mine were at about 2.5... they are about 3.25" now. Running the Stock Shocks...

I have the front sitting 1" lower than the back measured on the center line of the hubs up to the fender flare and shes a little rougher on the bumps but eveything else is smooth.... I need to load her up for a weekend trip and see how she sits now.

Remember the stock setting and Parts are as close to neutral/smooth on the Articulation as Pathy's get. When we add aftermarket SL's we will change the ride of our Pathy's.

The Calmini on my 91 was super stiff until I took it out and gave her a work out.

**Brain Flash**

With all the goodies you upgraded to you also changed all of the Geometry on the front end.

I would suggest setting the front 1" lower than the rear and see how she rides at that... Play with it a bit and when you think your where you want to be for ride, get the Alignment done P...

Ill take some closer pic's on mine this evening -bounce-

Yeah...you're riding the bumpstops, therefore your front suspension has no downward travel. That's why your ride sucks. Leave about 3/4- 1" of space between the UCA and the bumpstop, and it'll improve exponentially.

well, i think they are cranked up a little too far.. i almost said something in your test thread.. i know the truck sits on a sloped driveway but it still seems to be like mine with it's nose in the air.

would suggest setting the front 1" lower than the rear and see how she rides at that...

Thanks for the input fellas. Problem fixed. I went bacck to the shop in theis town and asked them to "undo" 50% of the torsion bar adjustment they did the day before. This setting still allowed the front end to be lifted and the ride improved exponentially :D

How the pathy sits now:

post-6-1153363165.jpg

Yeah...you're riding the bumpstops, therefore your front suspension has no downward travel. That's why your ride sucks. Leave about 3/4- 1" of space between the UCA and the bumpstop, and it'll improve exponentially.

Simon: you're right on!

Here is the space you mentioned:

The ride improved exponentially :clap:

post-6-1153363337.jpg

You may also want to confirm that the adjusting bolts are not sticking down below the crossmember they anchor into... Someone on here ripped theirs out while playing with some rocks...

Simon: you're right on!

Here is the space you mentioned:

The ride improved exponentially :clap:

Once in a while I get one right!! :P Glad the ride has improved. :beer:

Funny thing, just last night I got my new t-bars in and same thing. The front felt like a log truck, I pulled back into the garage and I had the bumpstops squished to about 1/2 inch thick. I released some tension and whalah rides like a beauty!

.5" Its still in the Kill Zone :P

Now your gonna make me want to play with mine some more..... thank god for the lifetime Alignment :laugh:

*You have new UCA's, I dont :( Im still going to look at mine again tonight...

make sure you get re-aligned ASAP! Torsion bar adjustments change caster *and* camber, so

a) you'll wear out the inside or outside of your tires *very* quickly if you don't have the camber readjusted, and

B) you're steering will be to twitchy or won't straighten out properly if you don't have the caster readjusted.

I always go to a frame shop to have the Pathfinder aligned, because the front-end alignment cheapos usually don't understand how to properly align these torsion bar vehicles. While you're at it, have 'em crow-bar around on your ball-joints to make sure everying's tight...an alignment with bad ball-joints is worthless!