Turn Signal/Corner Lamp Questions

vengeful

Ok, My front bumper had a little meeting with a rock and a tree and a drunk driver, so needless to say, it's not in the best of shape. I'm going to be fabricating a custom one up in the near future, but in order to achieve my design, I'm going to have to eliminate the bumper mounted turn signals. This is where it get's difficult.

I need my corner lamps to do double duty. They need to be able to run a dual filament bulb to run as the parking light/markers and the turn signal/indicators. Now, I know there are vehicles out there that use a dual filament setup to have the running lights and indicators in the same housing (like my dad's car, POS Buick :lol: ).

What I am wondering, is have any of you modified your corner lamps to do double duty as turn signals, and eliminated the bumper lights? How did you do it? Any ideas?

BTW: I just spent a half hour staring at the wiring diagram for the Pathy and it's making less and less sense, but that could just be that its 12:30 and I've been up since 5:30 this morning....darn being sick!!! :oops: :angry:

His bumper is pretty sweet. But I was thinking of doing something more along the lines of Greg's. Something like this. Very simple, easy to make, easy to repair, easy to replicate if necessary. Simple but elegant, and not too "in-your-face," if you hear what I'm going for.... :blink:

Here's a pic of Greg's bumper for those who don't know it

28901792.jpg

Try looking at a vehicle that has that setup already (like a POS Buick) and do a little reverse engineering. Throw a voltmeter on the Buick's lamp wires and get an idea of how they operate, then replicate it using your wiring. It might get confusing if they switching the grounds instead of the 12V positives, so be sure to check.

Well...I noticed that the Frontiers already have this setup (indicators and markers in corner lamp/no bumper mounted indicators). I wonder if it would be possible to scavenge the guts from a Fronty and somehow make it work on my Pathfinder. :shrug:

99.5+ pathys have the double duty markers too... If nothing else put two bulbs in there.. It would take a little engineering of the marker itself but I think it could be done. Run the wires that currently control the bumper blinker to a new socket/bulb that you drill/install into the markers. Of course the blinker bulb must be a higher wattage but shoudnt be an electrical problem if you are running the blinker wires up there as I know that bulb is bigger/brighter than the wimpy marker lights on our trucks...

I know they are different however how different i am not sure of... Could buy a cheap clear pair of ebay if you have the extra coin floating around and play with em, however you still wouldnt have the correct socket to install the bulb (ran into this problem when i got 99.5 tail lights for my 97)..

On my old Pathy, I just relaced the stock 1156 socket with a 1157 socket to hold an 1157 bulb (dual filament). Ran the stock wires up to it and done. There are other ways of doing it to (search on the other Nissan boards). I just used my dremmel to make the hole for the socket a little larger to fit the 1157 socket in.

Now people can see my signals flashing from the side like most newer vehicles do.