E-AT

mikemike

Automatic Transmission, Power/Economy selector.

It changes the shift points for the tranny... shifts earlier to save gas or set it to shift later for added power. Use the power setting when towing a heavy load or times when the tranny just shifts to soon for what you are doing.

The Econ button makes the tranny shift later to enable you to get heavy loads going easier, the OD is to save fuel on the freeway. You can use OD with the tranny in power mode and you will still save fuel because of OD. Note that the econ button does not change the gearing/gear ratio, it simply makes the tranny shift later to help get loads moving.

In some cases you may find that the load is to heavy for OD to be effective, or while driving in some areas you may find that it constantly shifts in and out of OD. In those cases you want to turn OD off, because it is not really good for the tranny to be constantly shifting.

One other thing, power mode can be effective when used on hills too, such as through mountain pass's, where you may find the roads are very uneven (up and down) and filled with many corners which require you to slow down a lot on steep hills

According to the manual that E-AT power switch is something that keeps the tranny from shifting till it reaches a higher Rpm, I have noticed that if you put the pedal all the way to the floor, (not from a standstill) it is very noticeable and the rpms go way up, it is a way to get going fast in a hurry. I don't think that it affects the driving at all except under excess accellaration. :contract:

I have the switch on my 91

Edited by Jdpathy