Problem in Replacing O2 Sensor

onsight

o2.jpg

I am trying to replace the old Oxygen sensor on my 94LE pathy, is it the one in this picture?

I can't figure out how to screw the old one out. seems in red circle it's a 22mm nut. but looks like it's one whole piece with the muffler. or just because there's too much rust? I applied lots of WD-40, doesn't help.

could someone tell me whether is should be separate from the muffler, the red, blue or green circle?

thanks very much

It should unscrew from the exhaust pipe. Rusting together is a common problem, that's why you should use anti-sieze compound when you put the new one in.

Don't you have the new O2 sensor already? You could look at that to see what goes with it. The green circle should be the nut that comes out of the exhaust pipe.

Guest pathman

mine was a pain te remove also.

The nut is part of the O2 sensor so separates

so it separtes were you have circled it red.

I had to heat it up with a torch red hot

then turn it in and out slightly heat again

and turn it in and out and so on..............

unitl finally it came off. I am suprised it

did not snap. I did have to run a tap thru

the threads after. There were just enough

threads left to put the new sensor on.

You can just use even a little propane blow torch to heat it up enough to help break the seal, youll just have to hold it there for a while to get it good and hot, but its not thick metal so it will work. I did have to retap the threads also after taking mine out. never had to on any of the toher vehice I have done, But I see someone else had the same problem with junk threads afterwards. Nissan like rust, always remember that, neversieze and replace any bolts that istaken out of your rig. I do. I have had to drill out more bolts and retap em in my nissans I have owned. But I also live in New England so the weather hear is brutal and helps made bolts soft and siezed.

I tried torch this afternoon, still can't move the nut. I really suspect if that nut is welded to exhust. I looked close, from every possible angel, all seems like welded.

are you sure that nut is part of oxygen sensor?

Yes, the hex bit is part of the O2 sensor. When I did mine, I just stuck the wrench on it and hit it a couple of times with a small hammer. There wasn't room for a BFH, hehehe. You can buy a O2 sensor socket at most auto parts stores that has a cut-out in the side of it(for the wire to come out of) that might make it easier if the hex part is still in decent enough shape. Another thing I might do in your situation would be to use a wire wheel on a drill(or a wire brush) and clean the rust off that bugger first...

• 4 months later...
-study- thanks for idea, I will try clean the rust first using drill. then put some real torque P...P...P...

hope I wouldn't brake it. just tired of drilling and tapping.

so, were you able to remove it finally?

I have the same prob and the 22mm is stripped and I haven't tried since then but the winter is coming and I'll have to get on it.

When I did mine, I just stuck the wrench on it and hit it a couple of times with a small hammer. There wasn't room for a BFH, hehehe.

P... Poor man's impact wrench. :P Works great though

Well, I'll have to figure something out. probably a bunch of pb blaster and v-grips or pipe wrench and a bfh. P... -alcohol- I'll probably remove the x member that's right there too and see what happens.

Right now I am getting 15mph so that's not really a priority.