Suspension clunking

buzz

My 1991 Terrano/Pathfinder has an annoying clunk that feels like it is below driver floor/foot area. I haven't had it off road to see what happens but on the road if I bounce in a large dip and get some major travel in the suspension I get this metal clunk on one side only that I can feel thru the floor. I have torsion bars adjusted so body is as high as possible - no time yet to remove and regrease to see if that is problem..?? I have replaced compression bar bushes, have cleaned both front brakes, repacked bearings and made sure tight but still get noise. Doesn't make a noise when turning or mounting footpaths at strange angles.........Any ideas??

Buzz :help:

He means "Shocks" :lol:

*WD21's have shocks and torsion bars in the front ;)

Are the shocks blown? it sounds a lot like what mine was doing when my front shocks blew the seals out... replaced them and all was well again :aok:

Also you said...

I have torsion bars adjusted so body is as high as possible

Are you riding at FULL extention? Does it ride really rough, could it just be your suspension being forced back down to full extension that is causing the "clunk"?

Edited by RedPath88

could be a wheel bearing, a strut bolt has come loose or you have a bad ball joint. At the worst, it could possibly be your exhaust hanger or y-pipe has come loose and bangs on the body right under your feet, but that's very rare.

take a look under your truck and see if anything is loose or grease has squirted out the side of a ball joint or tie rod end

Edited by skrillaguerilla

Are these the OEM shocks? Could it be the lower shock mounts attached to the LCA. I had this happen whenever I went over speed bumps and would hear a clunk - clunk. This didn't occur when driving on smooth roads but as soon at the road got rough, clunk - clunk -clunk. As it turns out, the rubber bushing in the lower shock mount was completely worn. The shock itself was fine but the bushing was totally shot.

Chunk

I tightened the bolts here and the noise you are referring to stopped....i only heard the noise when traveling at a good speed and hitting a "dip" in the road or something. Good luck. I had this saved in my documents give it a try.

Instructions ::

Nissan Suspension Popping Noise Fix (It may take a few minutes for the pictures to load) Symptoms: The 1984 to 1985 Nissan 720 pickup, 1986.5 to 1997 Nissan Hardbody (D21) pickup and the 1987 to 1995 Nissan Pathfinder (WD21) all share a very similar front suspension design. In some cases it is possible for under torqued suspension components to move at their contact points which causes a distinct metal popping noise. The noise most often occurs when the suspension is flexing or when the steering wheel is turned. For me, I seem to hear it most while turning when I hit a dip or bump. The lower link to frame mount is the most common source of this noise. This mount has a large metal to metal contact area increasing the chance for noises when under torqued. Tools needed: Torque wrench or large breaker arm, 19 mm socket .. Amount of time 5-10 minutes . .

Below is a photo of the typical front suspension setup. The highlighted boxes in yellow show the location of the two bolts which must be checked for proper torque. Each box contains two bolts. There are four bolts total which must be checked. Above is a close-up of one highlighted box.

Above, the arrows point to the two bolts connecting the lower link to the frame. You may or may not need an extension to tighten these depending on the socket used.

post-9-1146258849.jpg

Edited by govols74n

• 1 month later...

Govols74n......you were absolutely right. ( Sorry I didn't respond sooner) The two bolts in question were loose by 3/4 of a turn and now the Terrano is as quiet as a diesel can be!!

Realllllllly appreciate the help.

Buzz :clap::clap: