Transmission issue

ggenovez

Hi all,

First off, My apologies, I can't find a good xterra group, but I noticed you guys are top notch and figured it will cross over.

So, last monday, my 2001 Xterra decided to quit being able to backup. Reverse doesn't work. Backup lights come on. Then 2 days later, Drive stopped working. I can get it moving in 1st and second...

I pulled the filter and the fluid was dark. tons of slit, some shavings on the magnet. Replaced the filter but no change.

My guess is that I need a rebuild. I wish I could afford someone to do the rebuild but unfortunately that's not an option.

SO first off is this a comon problem with an easy fix or do I need a rebuild?

Second, what rebuild kit should I look for? something basic? a new band?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't had one to bits myself, but a couple guys on here have done auto trans rebuilds, hopefully one of them has some pointers. Xterra transmissions are a bolt-in replacement for WD21 Pathfinders, so most info here should cross over. From what I've read, losing reverse first is common. IIRC the seal on the pump fails, reducing line pressure, and reverse requires the most line pressure so it's the first to go.

The AT section of the factory service manual might give you some idea of what you're up against.

I haven't had one to bits myself, but a couple guys on here have done auto trans rebuilds, hopefully one of them has some pointers. Xterra transmissions are a bolt-in replacement for WD21 Pathfinders, so most info here should cross over. From what I've read, losing reverse first is common. IIRC the seal on the pump fails, reducing line pressure, and reverse requires the most line pressure so it's the first to go.

The AT section of the factory service manual might give you some idea of what you're up against.

I have done a rebuild and it's really easy to grasp once you slowly take it apart. You will need to come up with some home garage ingenuity to remove the snap rings for the clutch hubs. I used various sizes of C clamps. Look up RE4R01A on here and you will see the photos. You will need a reliable caliper to measure shims and disks, and a H gauge.

I bought my kit at rockauto and would not rocommend this particular kit as the steel disks were not the same size I was needing and the filter was not cut or stamped properly.

You will want to measure all the current shims and disks as well as take lots of pictures so you don't forgot what goes where. Considering how you have excessive debris, I would see if you could get your torque converter cleaned out otherwise you're spewing all that junk back in your rebuilt transmission.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is probably false hope, but there is a solenoid in the valve body that could have failed. I thought this on mine and ended up rebuilding because the high clutch pack was burned out. Check the AT manual and see what solenoid actuates to engage reverse. BTW the reverse band is adjustable too.

I don’t know what constitutes a toasted trans, I mean outside loud violent grinding/slamming/jerking, but if you’re removing the trans and a rebuild costs a couple hundred plus needed tools... IMO you might as well buy a used trans from the junk yard.

I’ve been blessed to have a flawless JY transmission and engine so I can personally vouch, with prayer, that you can get a good transmission from the JY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk