Taillight fuse keeps blowing...

Pathlander

Hi all. I'm not very good at electrical, but after lots of searching I have disconnected all taillight bulbs, liscense plate bulbs, corner lights, and I have replaced the headlight/turn signal switch. Still keeps blowing fuses! I have a crappy voltmeter, but not very proficient in using it. Is the dash dimmer difficult to get to? That's the only other thing I can think of.

All I can suggest is looking at the wiring diagram to see everything that is off of that fuse. Since you are blowing fuses, you probably have a direct short to ground on the power wire. If your voltmeter does ohms, I would pull the fuse. Then disconnect the connector at the device (twilight, switch etc.) put the meter on ohms, and one lead on the power wire to the device, and touch the other lead to a good ground. If any of the power wires test low ohms to ground, then that is the faulty one. Trace it out to find the short. Also you can inspect the wiring harness going back to the taillights and look for any damage.

If you have a trailer light connector, that would be a good place to start.

• Like 1

Not surprising that puling the bulbs didn't fix it--unless a bulb was shorted (unlikely) you've got a wire from the tail light circuit shorted to ground somewhere. +1 on checking trailer lights. The dash dimmer (assuming you've got the rectangular one like I do) is a pain to get out of the dash. If you want to test it, I would just unplug it from behind and see if the short goes away. If it doesn't, plug it back in and move on.