R50 Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Oleschool

My PF needs valve cover gaskets and I am looking for information from others who have done this.I realize I have to pull the intake to do the d/s and I've read some of the hoses are a pain to get off.Should they be ordered?I'd like to order all the parts and be able to start and finish without delay.

1)What gaskets/parts do I need besides the v/c set?
2) What else should be done while she's apart?I've already relocated the knock sensor.

I think the knock sensor is under the lower intake manifold which isn't necessary to remove to fix the valve cover gaskets.

You should change the pcv valve,and spark plugs if you need to since they will be a little easier to get to. There's a water hose along the back of the intake that's a bit of a pain. Also the egr tube might be a little rusted so spray it with some pbr blaster to help remove it.

Do you have the FSM? Take a look at the coolant hose diagrams so you can get a better idea of any small hoses you might need.

All I can think of for now.

Edited by rick88ss

I need to do the exact same thing. Valve cover gasket is allowing some oil seepage/mist to fall on the hot parts...thus making that delicious aromatic burnt oil odor.

Why would the knock sensor be relocated? Im brand new to pathfinders.

Edited by kane

Have you tried just snugging the valve cover screws first? Gaskets tend to shrink with age, our 1999.0 had oil in the plug wells and dripping on the exhaust manifold when we bought it. It is 4 years and 30k miles later now and still no leaks since I tightened the fasteners.

Worth a try...

B

• Like 1

Have you tried just snugging the valve cover screws first? Gaskets tend to shrink with age, our 1999.0 had oil in the plug wells and dripping on the exhaust manifold when we bought it. It is 4 years and 30k miles later now and still no leaks since I tightened the fasteners.

Worth a try...

B

This works... did the same on my VG30 and its amazing how loose the screws are.

I hadn't even considered loose bolts on the valve cover. I simply assumed by age and mileage that the gasket was the culprit.

As soon as I get some off time in definitely gonna be wrenching under the hood and hopefully it will be just the screws/bolts.

Thanks for the knowledge sharing folks. I appreciate the information.

I need to do the exact same thing. Valve cover gasket is allowing some oil seepage/mist to fall on the hot parts...thus making that delicious aromatic burnt oil odor.

Why would the knock sensor be relocated? Im brand new to pathfinders.

The knock sensor is in the valley of the V6, buried under pretty much everything. It is a lot of work to relocate a fairly cheap yet important sensor, so one trick is to disconnect the old one, plug in and relocate the new one somewhere effective and accessible,

B

I've tightened the vc once already and I've done the knock sensor relocation.I'm going to remove the intake and do the gaskets.I'll check the coolant hoses while I'm there.

• 2 years later...

I done that on my 98 Pathfinder and it made the leak worse so it's a 50-50 gamble in my book personally I wouldn't tighten them up I would just replace the valve cover gaskets

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk