Gearing Question

djeffrey

Hello everyone, I just took a road trip to Texas too pick up a fellow forum member's Pathy. This Pathy has a installed Lockrite locker. I want to move this to my pathfinder.

His Pathy: 1995 LE, Converted to Manual tranny, Tag on fender states it has 4.6 final gears, Disc brakes, LSD diff housing

My Pathy, 1991 SE, Manual Trans, Tag on my fender say 4.3 Final Gears, Disc Brakes, LSD Diff housing

I want to know if I can just dis assemble his rear end and only use the locker. I want to keep my rear end because I feel its in better condition and I don't want to convert to a different gearing because I really like the 4.3. Will this locker still be compatible with my rear end or will I just have to swap the rear end and change front gear to a 4.6 in order to use this locker.

Thanks for your help!

DJ

Like pathyguy guy says, if you have the limited slip in yours then you will have to switch everything over. Make sure you swap the front gears also or will have ALOT of problems first time you use 4 wheel drive.

The lockright will only fit in an open diff housing

Exactly, so something is strange here... Maybe the PO swapped in open diff guts (removed the LSD) so he could install the locker? :shrug:

Better call him...

If you run larger tires, I'd go with the higher gearing myself, but that is just me. Otherwise, yes, the locker can swap over, but I understand there are a few critical adjustments when installing them so experience is helpful. I'm pretty sure there is a write up about it here by a guy in Arizona IIRC.

B