Questions on Terrano differential, transfer case and drain/fill plug remover tool

patrickt

Hello All!

I have an early 4wd Terrano (WD21) with a Z24 engine. I apologize as the only 4wd vehicle i`ve owned (and still do) is an old misubishi-willys, japanese version of the cj3b, so i`m not thoroughly "modern" and still know little about 4wd`s in general.

So on to my questions: 1) Is there anyway to know if my front diff is the R180A or the R200A? And if my rear diff is the H190A, the C200, or the H223B?

2) I wanted to replace the transfer case and differential oil. The rear diff is easily visible and so easy to change. But i cant see the front diff. I assume its hidden by some kind of gravel plate? If so, is the plate easy to remove?

3) As far as the transfer case, i believe i located what would be either the drain or fill plug (cant remember if it was directly below the transfer case or higher up behind). In any case, i only located one plug. For good measure, could anyone pls tell me anyway where both transfer case plugs are located? Pictures would be even better :).

4) Anyone know the exact size of the square shaped allen tool used for removing the fill/drain plugs (is the hole in fact just a plain square hole)? I asked as they are impossible to get over here in my part of the world and so resorted to a machine shop to make one for me (importing one would take some time, not to mention the exorbitant taxes i would have to pay over here), cheap labor over here :). Thank You very much! P.S. Pls dont get confused by the year of my terrano, these are really just the first generation terranos, hence my posting on this forum

patrick

Edited by patrickt

V6 runs the R200 so you should have the R180 unless it is different over seas.

Front diff is under the engine and will have a small skid plate protecting it.

Not sure, never done my T-case oil.

I just used a 1/4 ratchet tool with nothing on the end on my transmission if I remember right. Should be the same on the diffs and t-case.

Deerhurst- Thanks for the reply. I measured my fill/drain plugs on the rear axle and got 14mm (a tad smaller tham 9/16"). Thanks again! Anyone else help me with my transfer case question?

• 1 year later...

Just as a suggestion while draining any fluid in your vehicle, (this includes differentials, transfer cases, etc) always make sure that you can undo the fill plug first. If you undo the the drain plug and drain out all your oil and then go to fill it up, but can't undo the fill plug you're in trouble.

• Like 1

Yep, front diff is above the skid plate. Should be easy enough to get the plate off, though the little 10mm head bolts that hold it on shear off more easily than they should. Must be made of the same junk as the exhaust studs. I don't remember the indicators for which diff you have (outside of general rules for the US market) but if you can get a few pictures of what you're looking at, someone will probably recognize it. Or look around, I remember a thread recently trying to ID an axle.