Tie rod issues

fast5speed

I have 1994 D21. 4x4, v6 all that good stuff. Pretty much the same as your WD21s as I understand, as far as the steering system goes.

Pretty much, for some reason, I can't properly install my tie rods. I'm running into a couple different issues. First of all, the biggest issue is that, after a certain point, I cannot tighten the castle nut anymore. At a certain point, the mini-ball joint that makes up the bolt of the tie rod just spins in place. I try to turn the nut, and the bolt just spins.

So I thought...this is ridiculous. There has to be something wrong. So I looked at the ball-joint/bolt OF the tie rod. And it's tapered. So I assumed that, somehow, the bolt of the tie rod is supposed to be pressed down into the knuckle? So the friction from the tapered part will stop the bolt from spinning?

So I assumed that the tie rod has to be pressed down further into the hole. But, previously, I was already a bit nervous about putting too much pressure on the tie rod that the grease boot would squeeze against the knuckle and break.

I will make a video and post it soon, but does anyone have any input at the moment? I've tried to gently use vise-grips to try to hold the bolt in place while turning the nut, but I can never get enough threads on the bolt to get a good grab. Also, I don't want to bugger the threads.

I take it these are aftermarket tie rods?

There is a pre and post 94 model version and some of the aftermarket suppliers dont know the difference. We have had a few people before run into this problem where it wont seat properly.

I agree, sounds like u got the wrong taper on the part. I would return it and get the proper ones as that's not really that safe to be driving around on. The taper should tighten itself together so the castle nut can spin on.