Tachometor

brc19761

Hello, I know this is a Pathfinder forum and I usually ask questions about my Pathfinder here. But this post is about my 1997 Nissan Hardbody 4x4. I do belong to a Hardbody forum and posted my problem about my tachometor there, but only one reply.

Here is the problem I have the 4 cylinder KA24E in my 1997 Nissan Hardbody. Here lately my tach. has been messed up. It works. When you start it up the tach. is right about where it is supposed to be. But when you go to shift gears and drive the tach. is reading way to high. For example, I was on the interstate yesterday and at 70mph it was running over 5,000rpm. It usually runs about 3-3,5000 rpm at this speed.

Most searches I come across say replace the tach. on the instrument cluster, but this was mostly for tachs. that didn't work at all. I also read that the tach plugs into the distributor. I unpluged what I thought was the right wire and cleaned it with electrical contact spray, but that didn't do anything.

Is there any solutions to try to fix a tach that works but just reads to high of a rpm. I am going on a trip this weekend and I don't want to blow my motor up :). The motor has 130,000 miles on it and has been extremely well maintained. I bought it new in 1997 so I am the oringinal owner.

If anyone has any ideas, comments, or insight to the problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the info. I pulled the entire gage cluster out yesterday. Cleaned all the contact points. Plugged all the wiring harnesses back in the back of the gage cluster. Every thing worked except for the tachometer. It doesn't work at all now. I rechecked the connections to the back of the cluster to make sure they were in the right position. Still not tach at all. Like most things I try and fix at least it was working before I fooled with it now it doesn't work at all :).

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions.

It does sound to me like the tach regulator is toast. Mine did almost the exact same thing a few years ago.

It would read correct/nominal at idle. At highway speeds it would jump to 6K which I knew wasnt correct. After a few weeks it stopped doing this and would instead at highway speeds jump all over the place instead randomly, settle out to 3K, then bounce around again. I guess you maybe skipped that last step.

Solution was to replace the tach with one from a salvage yard. Paid $50 for a compelte cluster. Worked perfect after that!

Make sure to get one from a 96-97 4WD.

Good job thinking to check the connector on the side/base of the distributor for a good connection.