lift question

mrkim_

Hi guys,

So I got the AC 2" lift done in my 2004 pathy and just curious if people have done the 1" NX strut spacer on top of the 2" lift.

I was just wondering if its worth it. If you have done it then allignement needed?

There are several topics lingering around here about the front strut spacer. I have had the NX4 1" spacer on top of my AC 2" lift for several years now. I did use two sets of camber bolts (top and bottom strut mounting points) to correct the negative camber without any problems. The spacer, along with the AC springs, will put your cv axles at a pretty extreme angle. There have been concerns with running the cv's at this angle for daily driving. If I remember correctly, the most common problem is the rubber dust boot tears easier at this angle. However, we have gotten by this issue by installing manual locking hubs so that the cv axles do not move unless you are ready to use four wheel drive. We have also noticed a slight gain in fuel savings by the lack of mechanical resistance with the hubs disengaged. The only down side of the manual hubs is that you can no longer "shift on the fly" to go from "2H" to "4H".

*edit ..

I see in your signature that you already have the manual hubs. Basically all you need are the spacers and the camber bolts.

Edited by devonianwalk

I believe its highly recommended for an alignment after any adjustments are made to the struts. I've also just installed the lift on mine but I'm waiting for it to settle wee bit more before the alignment. If you add the spacers you'll have to do it again IF you've already got one done.

There are several topics lingering around here about the front strut spacer. I have had the NX4 1" spacer on top of my AC 2" lift for several years now. I did use two sets of camber bolts (top and bottom strut mounting points) to correct the negative camber without any problems. The spacer, along with the AC springs, will put your cv axles at a pretty extreme angle. There have been concerns with running the cv's at this angle for daily driving. If I remember correctly, the most common problem is the rubber dust boot tears easier at this angle. However, we have gotten by this issue by installing manual locking hubs so that the cv axles do not move unless you are ready to use four wheel drive. We have also noticed a slight gain in fuel savings by the lack of mechanical resistance with the hubs disengaged. The only down side of the manual hubs is that you can no longer "shift on the fly" to go from "2H" to "4H".

*edit ..

I see in your signature that you already have the manual hubs. Basically all you need are the spacers and the camber bolts.

I did get the camber bolts and got them aligned. So if I get the strut spacers then I have to get them re aligned. damm.

No tooslwforgr, it means you'll have to stop, throw it into park, get outta yer rig (unless you get ur friend/girl to do it for ya), flip the hubs, get back in, put your seatbelt on (unless yo like to live life on the edge of your seat) :lol: THEN, put it into 4wd high (or LOW).

Nothing really changes, except for the fact that you have to stop to flip the hubs BEFORE engaging 4wd.

Once the hubs are angaged/locked you can take it out and put it back into 4WD as many times as you want, wherever you want/need to.

Don't forget to unlock them when finished wheelin' or you poor MPG and added stress to halshafts will come back.

Edited by Bluewulf73
  • Like 1

No. You have to physically turn the dial on each hub to engage 4x4. You pull the transfer case selector down into the 4H or 4L after you turn the dial.

*edit .. sniped!

Edited by devonianwalk

I know you can't shift on the fly anymore with the manual hubs installed, so does that mean you will just have to go into neutral, throw it in 4wd and go?

I call it "thinking ahead". When I hit the dirt I engage the hubs (usually airing down at the same time). Only once did I not lock the hubs, it was an easy dirt track so I figured I won't need 4 wheel drive, but on a hilly section I hit a patch of ice & lost traction. I had to get out, fall over several times on the ice, lock the hubs, fall over again, get back in the car & engage 4wd, got off the ice no prob :laugh:

• Like 1

To continue with Devons point on cv angle.

Another member has discovered that a company called Rockford cv makes a higher end. I. E stronger than stock cv boot, I have them on my car, they are a thicker material and Much less likely to tear at the extreme angle.

They are fairly easy to install, but be ready for a greasy good time. (jeez that sounds weird) haha

-Kyle

I call it "thinking ahead". When I hit the dirt I engage the hubs (usually airing down at the same time). Only once did I not lock the hubs, it was an easy dirt track so I figured I won't need 4 wheel drive, but on a hilly section I hit a patch of ice & lost traction. I had to get out, fall over several times on the ice, lock the hubs, fall over again, get back in the car & engage 4wd, got off the ice no prob :laugh:

Hey, you went to the school of hard knocks too? Cool! :jig::hugs:

To continue with Devons point on cv angle.

Another member has discovered that a company called Rockford cv makes a higher end. I. E stronger than stock cv boot, I have them on my car, they are a thicker material and Much less likely to tear at the extreme angle.

They are fairly easy to install, but be ready for a greasy good time. (jeez that sounds weird) haha

-Kyle

:/ -Especially if you throw the word shaft in there... :lol::happy:

• Like 2