Intermittant Overheating

Guest brian peterson

Guest brian peterson

My 87 Pathy is running hot (to the line) but it is only intermittant. Driving me crazy!. It is a new (recored) radiator, new hoses, new thermo. It is fine for a while then will kick up to to point of pulling over. Tested for blowby gasses, and its fine. Changed rad cap. Could it be the H20 pump? I'm noticing a slight bearing squeal sound, but thought it was the power steering.

Anyone else experience this?

I don't think the water pump could just stop working, then work again later. Its kinda a one-way deal. It dies, and its dead. Are you sure you got the right temp for the new thermostat? It could be waiting till too hot of a temp before opening.

I just changed my waterpump. When it went it went completely and also leaked coolant; it however, didn't make any noise. If you aren't noticing any leaks anywhere, then I would suspect the thermostat isn't opening at the right temperature or at all. Is it possible that something, like a chunk of sealant or something, is blocking the thermostat and preventing either flow or function?

I put a 160 degree thermostat in a vehicle calling for a 190 and it ran hot all the time, it prevents the water from staying in the radiator long enough to cool. The symptoms were the same, bounce between 220 and 190 all the time.