towing capacity

jasonb

i read someplace that towing capacity of r50 is different between auto trans and manual. is that true? whats the rational?

as an aside, is there any interest in a writeup for 7plug trailer connector on r50? (or am i the only freak)

I would suspect the rating difference between auto (5000lb) and manual (3500lb) is due to the gearing of transmission.

I could have used a writeup for a 7 pin last summer, but I already installed it. So, you're not the only one.

I would say it is limited by the capacity of the transmission. Generally autos have a higher tow rating, probably because of the torque converter. I wouldn't tow more then 2000 lbs anyway, that's scary enough already with stock brakes

I would say it is limited by the capacity of the transmission. Generally autos have a higher tow rating, probably because of the torque converter. I wouldn't tow more then 2000 lbs anyway, that's scary enough already with stock brakes

hmm... i guess i could see where nissan doesn't want ppl pulling 4200+5000 lbs through the clutch. i can tell you that i've pulled between 4000 and 4500 lbs off and on since the truck was a puppy (3mo old) and haven't noticed any ill effects. the only chronic problems i've had are the rear axle seals and suspension bushings.

i know what i'm going to do on the tow capacity. i'll take a measurement of braking distance/time of my truck by itself and pulling a loaded trailer w/ and w/o trailer brakes. then i'll swap to rear disc and measure that.

Edited by jasonb

I am not sure what is the towing capacity but I have once pulled a tractor head Mercedes Actros 2040s and that I think has a weight of approx 7 tons no problem noticed apart from feeling my R50 stretched on the curve hehehe but no mechanical harm was inflicted

hi know what i'm going to do on the tow capacity. i'll take a measurement of braking distance/time of my truck by itself and pulling a loaded trailer w/ and w/o trailer brakes. then i'll swap to rear disc and measure that.

I doubt you'll notice a difference. the amount of braking that the rear end does is so minimal. Basically the only reason switching from drum to disc is purely cosmetic and ease of changing pads as opposed to shoes.

Putting on disc brakes from something other (and bigger) then a WD21 will make a huge difference in braking. The R50 has a nearly 50/50 split in weight distribution and with a trailer behind, the back brakes are a significant part in braking. The differences aren't merely cosmetic as you will experience less brake fade and more consistent braking at any speed.

You'll notice a big increase in braking distance with a trailer behind but it will be reduced quite a bit with a disc swap.

The reason car manufacturers put drums on vehicles is because of the toughness of the whole system. Everything is hidden from the elements and brake pads usually last 3x the amount of the front. They also have more static holding power (e-brake).

I still plan on switching mine out and I'll probably adapt something from a Silverado because parts are readily available.

The reason car manufacturers put drums on vehicles is because of the toughness of the whole system. Everything is hidden from the elements and brake pads usually last 3x the amount of the front. They also have more static holding power (e-brake).

I still plan on switching mine out and I'll probably adapt something from a Silverado because parts are readily available.

Drums are enclosed but thats the problem when offroading in mud, it gets in but not out. The ebrake on rear disk brakes are a little drum inside the rotor, so they would have less holding power than a full sized drum.

If you put rear disk from a larger truck it will just make the rear brake prone to locking up when you stop fast. Now if you put larger brakes all the way around you will have something. Try looking at 08 on up titans, the caliper setup in the front is very similar to the pathy. The rotor setup is totally different though. Not sure if all the bolts for the calipers will line up but could be simple upgrade. And you would be sticking with Nissan! 08 titan had the third and largest upgraded brake setup. I have been told that 07 and up silverado brakes would fit the front of a titan but I never verified that.

James

I'm sure brakes from other nissans will fit. Of course, it's all just a matter of knowing which ones. Haha. What you got to remember if thinking about swapping the brakes from a titans or armadas is that they're on 18" wheels. That would probably require larger wheels for us which many may not want to do. I'd look into the R51 first, if anything. That is, if they got upgraded brakes.

Not sure what everyone has done, but why not doing some other smaller mods to make the current system better? Like SS lines, upgraded rotor with better cooling vanes, and running some better brake fluid through the system. Better pads would also help too. I haven't yet looked into this since i don't do a whole lot of towing or wheeling. Just thinking out loud since i did something similar with my old Z32. Got SS lines, upgraded stock size stillen rotors that had better cooling vanes, better pads, and fluid, and the brakes were night and day.

Drums are enclosed but thats the problem when offroading in mud, it gets in but not out. The ebrake on rear disk brakes are a little drum inside the rotor, so they would have less holding power than a full sized drum.

If you put rear disk from a larger truck it will just make the rear brake prone to locking up when you stop fast. Now if you put larger brakes all the way around you will have something. Try looking at 08 on up titans, the caliper setup in the front is very similar to the pathy. The rotor setup is totally different though. Not sure if all the bolts for the calipers will line up but could be simple upgrade. And you would be sticking with Nissan! 08 titan had the third and largest upgraded brake setup. I have been told that 07 and up silverado brakes would fit the front of a titan but I never verified that.

James

I only mention the static holding power because take for example you are on a steep incline holding the brakes. The drums are less likely to slip.

Two things stop larger rear brakes from locking up. ABS and a proportioning valve. The ABS most of us have already but you can always put a proportioning valve inline that is very easy and quick to adjust. Better to have rear brakes that can lock up then ones that can't.

I would love to use Titan brakes and keep it Nissan, but any wrecker around here says "nope" as soon I say the word Titan. There is little to nothing on eBay either.

That Titan idea is interesting. Let me know what you find out wrt titan fitment and maybe i'll switch to that instead of the wd21.

i agree, a proportioning valve shouldn't be hard to put. just need to find a place where the hard lines are joined where you can fit one in.