Service engine soon VS

Floonster

Ok, here we go my first real post.

I have been searching around (here and other places) and I have run into what I would call a conflict of info. Mainly; I find reference when it comes to Pathfinders of both Service Engine Soon and Check Engine lights?

Are both of these on the instument panel on a '99? :ohno01:

Forgive my ignorance but I find that hard to fathom. I have had the truck for 10 days and the service Engine Soon light has come on but I read that that can be corrected by dis and reconnecting the battery....? But not the Check engine light???

Is this prudent? Would I not find out what the problem is/was?? Is this 'proper procedure' mechanically/electrically?

One more thing, anybody have an answer for why my compass on the rear view mirror reads correctly but the temp (Outside sensor) stays at a balmy 131 degrees F?? All the time? Except occaisionally it dips to a cool 5C (ya centegrade there for a bit) then poof, I'm in the Mojave again.

Thanks for lookin'. :)

PS

Your search function must have been put together by a bunch of high degree scientists because it kinda burns me up mentally trying to get it to give up the goods. :suicide:

Edited by Floonster

SES and check engine should be the same light...unless they started doing something new

yes. I believe the 2 acronyms are used to describe the same thing. As for temp/ compass, on my 96 I had to re-calibrate the compass when I bought it(not that I need it) but apparently the temp problem has got to do with a faulty sensor. I eventually just turned mine off. :shrug: Keep playin with the search tool and you'll get it. WTF...all the new tv shows suck anyways.

Edited by daftpup

WTF...all the new tv shows suck anyways.

Got that right. This place is pretty cool, eating up all my fine fishing forum time.

So you think it's one and the same? What about the battery advice --> should I try it? I guess the worst that could happen is I clear the error and if it is still existing it will resurface.

I can't wait for those manuals in the pinned topics to become available, how COOL is that??

That sensor thing is just ticking me off, I'll probably just turn it off. What do I care what the temp is, I'm gonna fish in it anyways. :tired:

Sorry I forgot to answer your battery ?. I tried it on my 96 and it didn't work. I still get an intermittent SES light but I don't worry about it b/c the truch runs good. Did you try gascap ( no rag pls). Does it run fine? Is it overly thirsty? I have read on this very forum that if the truch runs ok when the SES light is on, I would narrow it down to gascap or O2 sensor after the cAT which does no real harm but could be an emission issue in BC. Hope this helps

Ok, here we go my first real post.

I have been searching around (here and other places) and I have run into what I would call a conflict of info. Mainly; I find reference when it comes to Pathfinders of both Service Engine Soon and Check Engine lights?

Are both of these on the instument panel on a '99? :ohno01:

Forgive my ignorance but I find that hard to fathom. I have had the truck for 10 days and the service Engine Soon light has come on but I read that that can be corrected by dis and reconnecting the battery....? But not the Check engine light???

Is this prudent? Would I not find out what the problem is/was?? Is this 'proper procedure' mechanically/electrically?

One more thing, anybody have an answer for why my compass on the rear view mirror reads correctly but the temp (Outside sensor) stays at a balmy 131 degrees F?? All the time? Except occaisionally it dips to a cool 5C (ya centegrade there for a bit) then poof, I'm in the Mojave again.

Service Engine Soon light (SES) = Check Engine Light (CEL) = Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). The terms are used interchangeably among various vehicle brands, but basically all signal the same thing: the engine control computer (Nissan calls it the PCM, or Powertrain Control Module) has detected a malfunction with a sensor, which could contribute to an increase in emissions.

There are several ways to reset the MIL, the cheapest being to simply disconnect the battery. (That's like unplugging your Windows PC from the wall when it crashes, instead of trying to find out why it crashed.) The problem with this technique is that you don't find out why the MIL was triggered.

Instead, it's usually advisable to get an OBD-II (On-Board Diagnostics revision II) code reader, plug it into the OBD-II diagnostic port under the dash, and retrieve the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) that indicates which sensor has a problem. Once you know the DTC, you can repair the problematic sensor (or system), then use the code reader to reset the MIL.

Use your favorite internet search engine (such as google) for information about reading and interpreting OBD-II codes. If you're inclined to purchase a code-reader, I highly recommend the Scan-Gauge. It's priced a little more than a generic code-reader, but has many more useful features that make it a worthwhile investment.

Regarding your outside temp gauge, it's very likely that the sensor is faulty. The sensor is mounted mid-way up on the hood latch support bracket.

Thanks so much dude. You guys are great!

I will be looking into one of them code readers. A little research goes a long way. I don't mind spending money on tools if I am going to use them so $$ is pretty much secondary there.