Highest Milage/Oldest VQ

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

01 QX4 with 220K km, hard driving

Only problems:

Hole in exhaust,and replaced the big hanger.

Upgraded TCM - just because the shift flair drove me nuts when cold.

Replaced stereo - the common CD Player problem

K&N air intake - sounds good

Replaced AFM - bad O2 deltas, intermittent SES

Replaced suspension - a must do on all my vehicles

The Q' has been vunderbar....

Markus

Well my truck just rolled 152000 miles and the only thing that I have done a couple weeks ago was the cam position sensor(Nissan calls it crank position sensor) for the variable timing. She takes a beating and keeps on ticking. Like a Nissan should.

David

Edited by Thunderbolt

2001 VQ Pathfinder with 165k miles. No engine issues besides short startup lifter tick. It happens even with the highest quality oil filters with anti drainback valves (Nissan OEM, Mobile 1, Wix).

Parents have a 1995 Maxima with the VQ and 200k miles. It has a longer startup tick. Only engine problems they had was having to replace 3 fuel injectors. On the 3rd time, they gave up and replaced the remaining 4.

• 3 weeks later...
What agreat thread, though I am slightly biased, it keeps beaming the VQ's durability!

Is everyone here aboard the TrueDelta site?

2003 SE with ~50k miles on it.

I'm really frightened when someone is caught by power valve screws issue.

It really hurts nissan reputation to have an issue without recall.

I really like my car and the engine performance but knowing that one day you might have big problem pushes me to replace the car

as soon as I have money.

I looked long for my car and wanted low mileage one. It seems power valve issues come up before 100k miles which means if you have a car with >100k miles you won't be a victim.

Edited by vanuatoo

But man listen, really, if you can change your oil than YOU CAN loc-tite those power valve screws. It may take 2 hrs, but seriously giving up the truck over a 2 hr update proceedure is just not ok. Honest.

Unfortunately I don't live in USA and in my country there is no certified Nissan Dealer, just self-taught mechanics. Some of them are good but I don't want to risk and give my engine in their hands. There is a possibility that my screws are ok and after opening the engine they won't close it properly and I will be blaming all my possible engine problems to them.

If I were in USA I would definitely shell out money and go to dealer for the peace of mind but what drives me mad is that the problem does exist and Nissan does not issue recall notice. How many cars are needed to admit that? I've been thoroughly researching what car to buy and had come to the conclusion that pathy is best suited for me and it is right now but If I have found this forum earlier I would wait a little bit and buy some other brand.

I don't get what all the fuss is about with locktiting the screws! All you need is a 12 mm socket, allen wrench, phillips head screw driver, locktit and some pliers for the 3 hoses you need to remove. It takes 10minutes so see the screws and maybe 10 to remove them 1 at a time and glue them.

Just do it so you don't have to do what I did last night.

Pulled engine thread

• 3 weeks later...

159,000 on my 2001 VQ. No major engine repairs- except for needing to loctite the powervalve screws (caught it before they came loose entirely!).

Have had to replace two ignition coils and a MAF sensor. The MAF went bad right after I installed the CAI and freeflow exhaust. I'm thinking the oil on the air filter did it in.

I've used pure synthetic oil since day one (bought it new). Still looks and runs like new. Engine purrs like a kitten- no knocks, ticks, hesitation, or anything like it. And I'm not a laid back driver by any means (just ask everyone that I pass).

I was reading about SeaFoam in another thread- might give that a go at my next oil change in a few weeks. I didn't notice a whole lot of carbon build up when I loctite'd the powervalve screws but there was some. Thinking a good SeaFoam treatment might be a good thing with this many miles.