93 Pathfinder in Ecuador - 4 cylinder?

Guest keith

Guest keith

Ok, I live in Ecuador, and used 4wd´s are expensive. So, since cars don´t really rust here, and labor is cheap, it´s common to see cars from the 80s and early 90s, and they still cost 6-8k USD.

Anyhow, I found this great 93 Pathfinder 4wd with 75k miles, but when I took it for a test drive, it seemed like the engine revved a lot for not much work. Also power was lousy. Engine sounds good and clean apart from this. The owner told me that it´s becuase it only has 4 cyl, not like American versions with 6. He also told me that they did a compression test, and got 125 on all cylinders.

The car looks great and otherwise works great, so I´m even thinking about putting a 6 cyl engine in it, if I can find one here and it´s not too expensive or complicated.

Questions: 1. Does 125 sound good for the compression?

2. Has anyone heard of Pathfinders with 4 cyl?

3. Would changing the engine size require a different transmission?

4. Any idea if I can just change it for a standard 6 cyl from another pathfinder?

:confused:

Yes. In every market other than US, the 4cyl models were more prevalent. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a 4banger one in Ecuador.

125 sounds right.

3. Yes, swapping the engine will require a new transmission that will bolt up to the new engine.

Yes, you can swap in a 6cyl from another Pathy, but it's still a lot of work. You'll have to switch the ECU, transmission, transfer case, as well as all the wiring and fuel stuff as with any other engine swap.

Good luck.