Ignitions and ECU's

Greetings all. I have a slick 89 Pathy. This week I'm gettin Thorley headers because I've owned many Nissans, and I know they just can't keep a manifold in one piece....small price to pay. I'm also getting the brushguards from 4x4parts.com this week, and if I can swing it I was lookin to get an ECU and ignition, but I could use some direction.......

The truck is a daily driver, so I don't need total performance, just a quality, reasonably priced punch.....suggestions? MSD, Crane, Morley...?

For ignition, you can get Direct Hits, MSD, Crane, Accel, whatever your heart wishes. It's just a PITA to hook up ignition boxes with the funky stock coil/transistor ignition. In most cases an adapter is needed to make the tach work afterwards. The Direct Hits dealies are cool, you plug one onto each spark plug and then the plug wires onto that and run it. Easy install. They work, just not as well as a real multiple spark discharge ignition.

There's only one place you can get an ECU upgrade, so I guess it's just up to you whether you want to spend $500 to reprogram your ECU and get 15 HP out of it. The $$ to HP ratio is high there.

Cool, thank you. I suspected there wasn't much available ECU-wise, I saw only JCW. So I guess its just headers, MSD, and intake this paycheck. If anyone has a minute, I have a wierd problem that I haven't really had time to look into on the truck yet.......

When I turn the key on, there is a 3-4minute delay before the fuelpump kicks in. I replaced the fuelpump. No change. RARELY when I'm goin down the road, she'll give me a "hiccup" and almost die, then roll right on. Whattayathink? Electrical/alarm/fuel pressure reg?

• 3 weeks later...

Also, what K&N-or-whatever intakes do you guys usually make to fit these, or is there another model/brand thats a good fit? I finally moved to a place with no emissions testing, and now that I'm doing all this fun stuff to the truck, I'm wondering what all is involved in bypassing the factory emissions equipment.