Help with Failed Emissions

inqydesu

I just had my Pathfinder inspected yesterday for Oregon Emissions. Passed the high idle with flying colors, but failed the low idle portion. The standard is apparently 200 or so PPM, and I had 800 (was this Carbon,CO?). Anyway, I need suggestions on what i can do to help it pass. The engine is the TBI (it is a 1989) and has 83k miles. I changed the plugs, wires 2 years ago when it failed emissions and that worked, but it wasn;t this far off. It also has poor fuel economy 10-15 MPG, so maybe tuning it up would help.

Could a cracked manifold affect emissions? Thoughs, Please give me your suggestions. Thanks

Jay

Ok moderators I need your help.

I just wrote a white paper to Jay here on how to pass the emissions test. Is there a liability problem for the forum in posting such a document.? :shrug:

I can say to Jay , tune the truck , run it up to full operation temperature, and an exhaust manifold leak is likely to help decrease carbon monoxide at the tail pipe.

Moderators or MR. JIM ( MR BIG ) himself please get back to me on this liability question.

Me too, run a can of octane boost an/or cleaner through for a few days, then get it nice and hot and run it through. I even passed in my old truck... with no catalytic converted. Bashed it out on the inside, but still passed.

lgranch: White paper?? Are you talking about some way to sneak past emissions, per se? I personally don't much care. Oregon only has emissions requirements in the Portland metro area anyway, AFAIK. I have no cat on my Pathy, no EGR valve(well, it's unplugged, heh), and none of my other cars would ever pass emissions if it were required anyway.

Yess 88 there are ways to "fool" the emissions tests. While you do not have to concern yourself about it there are many states that do require it. In Northeast Ohio everyone has to pass the emissions.

This forum does reach father than Oregon.

The question is by posting on how to get around emissions is there a liability to the forum?

Well I cleaned out the injectors, and my local mechanic notice a vacuum hose was disconnected. After that was fixed it passed with flying colors. Before it had a tapping sound to it, now i don't notice that. I have noticed that it runs a little rough. It seems to lug a bit now until it is warmed up. Before I could get it going without giving any gas, now it is morel likely to stall if i jut let out the clutch. Is this normal? Any suggestions now.