power steering pump

zonianbrat

:unsure: Ok i have been searching for awhile and gave up it is taking too muich time. figure i will just ask. my buddy called and said his wifes pathy (wd21) around a 90or 92 the power steering pump gave out he thinks, he said the power steering is not working but it is not whining and it is full of fluid no leaks. and it is all of a sudden. then he said he called a mechanic and that he said the rack & pinion might be failing..... ok i have changed a power steering pump on my wifes honda accord and it was a piece of cake so is it that easy on the pathy??? now i do not know alot about steering components but is the mechanic a little off? i might go and look at it this afternoon after i get off work but figured if i can get some answers and tips before i go it would be cool thanks guys. :unsure:

Yeah, the WD21 uses a Centerlink with pitman and idler arms and a steering box.

If the truck steers normally, but without the power assist, it's possible that one of two things happened. It threw the belt, or the pump died.

i blew mine out on a run one day, and since i was to poor (and still am) to fix it, the pulley and shaft came out and wedged inbetween the pump and fan shroud and then clipped all the blades on the fan, fun fun

oh and repalceing the pump is easy, just dont over tighten the bolts like i did

Edited by FLApathy