Learning to weld

The Drift

And my first trick will be a new rod for raising/lowering my spare/raising and lowering the jack...yep I lost it one night some how.

<------IDIOT

So my question is if someone could give me the measurements for theirs so I can make one. Nissan wants $73 for that stupid metal rod. I'd like to mount my spare back underneath my truck until I get a rear swing gate or something, and unfortunately I have no way to do that now.

Ok, or another idea since I kinda like the look of NOT having my tire underneath. Roof mounting. How many of you do it, and how poorly does it affect mileage, handling in wind, etc. Pretty much the pros and cons. I could find anything when I searched.

Oh and is a hi-jacker pretty much useless on the plastic bumpered R-50 since there is nothing to get it under to jack well with?

Do not use a Hi-Lift unless you have a Hitch and Sliders. There is no suitable jacking point to use one on an R50.

As far as roof mounting, I didn't really notice a difference in Gas mileage, but then again, the big old rack is still up there. I did notice a very very drastic change in CG and it made the truck feel way tippy. Then again, I am running 32s on steel wheels which weigh close to 100lbs each.

Do not use a Hi-Lift unless you have a Hitch and Sliders. There is no suitable jacking point to use one on an R50.

As far as roof mounting, I didn't really notice a difference in Gas mileage, but then again, the big old rack is still up there. I did notice a very very drastic change in CG and it made the truck feel way tippy. Then again, I am running 32s on steel wheels which weigh close to 100lbs each.

I had a feeling roof mounting would throw the CG off a bit. Especially in windy highway driving which I do a lot of, I could see it being obnoxious. Maybe I'll just weld up a bar until I can afford something to mount it on the rear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hidden-Hitc...sspagenameZWD1V

How about something like that for the time being? Or even permanent if you don't do a lot of wheeling and need the departure angle.

Edit: This is not the exact one I was thinking of because this one doesn't fold down. I see them on eBay from time to time.

Edited by vengeful

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hidden-Hitc...sspagenameZWD1V

How about something like that for the time being? Or even permanent if you don't do a lot of wheeling and need the departure angle.

Edit: This is not the exact one I was thinking of because this one doesn't fold down. I see them on eBay from time to time.

That might not be a bad idea, but wouldn't it be a pain getting in the hatch? And if I'm ever towing anything the spare has to go in the cargo area. Too many decisions!!! I'm pulling my hair out deciding on how to tackle my suspension as well lol. Never thought I'd find so much crap I want to do to this thing.

And to think it's just my daily driver LOL