1998 Pathy Air Conditioner Intermittent

r0x

The AC in my 1998 Pathfinder cuts out after a minute or so. The air is ice cold at the beginning and then it just quits. Cycling the AC switch sometimes gives me another minute of cold air. Any suggestions?

Another observation: the clutch seems to engage consistently. There is always an effect on idle RPM when the AC switch is pressed to turn it on.

Thanks in advance for replies.

--r0x

Edited by r0x

prehaps sounds like the pressure switch in the ac system maybe a little dicky.

possibly when you turn on the ac systems the pressure builds up pass specs. due to a dicky switch, then once it reaches a higher point it then cuts out. it then wont turn on again till pressure has dropped back down.

normally they are located on the receiver/dryer (small rounded on both ends cylinder thats normally black & it will normally have the small sight glass as apart of it). maybe see if you can see what condition the pressure switch looks like its in

however pressure switches in ac systems going bad, is sort of the thing that is very uncommon. but it could be a possibility

edit: ahhhhh..... one way to rule out some stuff is to have the car idling with the ac on and pop the bonnet and watch the ac compressor clutch. you will pyshically see when its cutting in and out.

Edited by sw

The blower motor is definitely good. Funny that you asked - for a while it was randomly cutting out and the fix was to replace the AC control panel because the fan speed switch was bad. I'll look into the other items. Thanks again for all replies.

--r0x