Installing a hitch

Cuong Nguyen

I just recieved my hitch in the mail--Thanks Dagwoodz! Anyhow, do you use all four mounting points or just the rear two? The forward mounting points don't seem to line up and I was wondering what did size hardware did you use to mount them. The hitch is a Class 3 U Haul

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

For the ones that "don't line up" you need to drill the frame for the bolts. :aok:

Don't remember the bolt size (I bought mine new at U-Haul).

Edited by GrimGreg

• 4 weeks later...

Well, finally got around about bought a bit with a 3/8th shank. Shouldve done that in the beginnning. I used 1/2" hardware.

Problems I ran into:

I found out that the frame is gusseted internally. Luckily it's off-centered.

I wanted to place the bolt with the tail end hanging below but I couldn't because the rear frame crossmember was in the way. There was no way to fit the bolt inside the frame without drilling a larger hole in the frame to access the hole I had to drill for the hitch. Instead, I had to put the the bolt in the frame and thread the bolt through below. Not much surface are to spread the load but it has enough to bite.

most of the bolts i use for u-haul (that's what i do all day) installs are 3/4" sockets. drilling required with 1/2" drill bit :furious: and.......... you have to do the fishing line through the frame trick......... oh joy ...... more ~~> :furious:

Edited by Slick

The hitch I got for my Terrano in Australia (Reece Hitch) came with all the mounting hardware.

This bit may help:

The nut to go inside the chasis had a large flat rectangular plate welded on to it to spread the load and a long piece of thick wire (also welded on) so it could be pushed down the chasis and lined up with the bolt hole. The flat plate washer also held the nut from turning as the bolt was done up.

The wire was fairly soft so it can be bent and left inside the chasis or removed by working it back and forward until it breaks at the weld. I did this for four of the six nuts and gave up on the last two.

There were three of these bolts through the chasis on the left side, two on the right and the bar bolted to the rear bumper brackets and to the existing tiedown or tow points welded onto the chasis. Man it is solid.

Geordie

Edited by geordie4x4