little bit of rust

lyzic

hey all

my rear fenders on the inside are starting to bubble just a little bit. the cancer has started, so what does the collective brains here suggest what to do? bodyshop for sand, fix and repaint? what?

I've got the same thing on my truck. As soon as I get a chance, I'm going to go at it with a sander.

If you feel confident in your abilities, I'd say tackle it yourself. It's not that big of a job - especially if you're going to recover it with Herculiner or POR-15 or the like, as I'm going to do. When I tackle my rust bubbles, I'm going to go at it with my rotary power sander and get it down to the bare metal, then scuff up the lower part of the truck real good with some 400 grit and coat it with Herculiner. If done properly, Herculiner will help to prevent the regeneration of rust. POR-15 is even better at it than Herculiner, but it's also quite a bit more expensive.

If you're not confident in your abilities, you can take it to a paint shop and have them give you an estimate. Be prepared to shell out a few hundred bucks for the job though.

I have a bubble starting behind my license plate, on the rear hatch, and right

around a nice little dent that's been on my front right fender since the day I

bought it. Neither have spread in two years so I am hopeful that continual waxing

will keep them in remission!

The rustiest part of my pathy is the front bumper - used to be black, not anymore.

What would be easier - removing, sanding and re-painting, or just buyin' a

replacement one?? Aren't they like $30-40 on e-bay?