94 won't start

Guest fishers138

The ignition switch is easier to replace than the starter. (I'm having stater problems myself, that's why some of this is fresh in my head) Just take the column cover off and you'll see how. Since you got your new starter at Advance you might be able to take it back for store credit toward the ignition lock.

Good luck.

• 3 months later...
Guest fishers138

Well, after giving up on the pathy a few months ago, I decided to get it back in the garage. I'm pretty sure I need an excorcist. The battery was 100% dead (no surprise, it's been sitting for 4 months). I couldn't even pop start it. I put my portable jumper pack on, and I was able to roll it and get it started. But as soon as I unhooked the jumper pack, it shut off. I hooked it up and started it again, and got the meter out. While running with the pack on, it's reading 10 volts. While shut off with no pack, it shows 0.5 volts. Needs an alternator I guess. I hooked up the trickle charger for a couple of hours and hooked the battery back up. I got in and I could hear a very faint high pitched buzzing sound from somewhere in the dash. Very very faint. I turned on the headlights and the noise stopped completely. I turned the key and the noise became much louder and lower pitched. Also, the car dings when the door is shut, and stops when the door is open. Sometimes I hear a click when I turn the key, sometimes I don't. The interior lights are out, so are the fan, windows, locks, and horn. But the headlights and wipers are ok. When I got it, the right headlight was out. I replaced it, and the left one went out immediately. I replaced that one, and a turn signal went out. I replaced that and lost a brake light. I decided not to replace anymore bulbs. Oh and the tach. is dead now too. It's going to the dealer tomorrow, the towtruck will be here at 9am. I might call a priest also.

I have some money saved up and just got a new job, I've decided to go all out. Lift, new wheels/tires, flowmaster exhaust, sound system, and eventually a new interior and paint. I don't think an engine is necessary yet, it's only at 106k. I almost bought a jeep last week :oops: .....but I came to my senses. I was out back looking at the old pathy and realized that it could be a hell of a truck. The frame is in great shape, and it runs like a dream when I can get it started. No leaks of any kind, clutch and tranny are perfect. Everything else can be fixed no problem. Anyway I'll be starting a new post soon to document the transformation.

Guest fishers138

Battery is new. Well it sat for 4 months but it's only been used for a few hours. I bought it when it wouldn't start the first time. My dad has a fairly new big expensive battery in his truck, I'll try it quick in the morning.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fishers138

Well, $1,400 later, the electrical problems are solved. Towing costs, New battery, alternator, starter, belts, some re-wiring, and a TON of labor costs. It took 3 different mechanics to fix it.

I took it to the dealer, they refused to fix it. (Ken Pollock Nissan of Wilkes-Barre, PA) I called them and told them all the problems, the guy said "bring it here, we'll fix it."I paid $140 for the tow (30 miles), when they got it the mechanic called and said "too much of a hassle, we won't deal with it". He also said I needed to get it out of their lot asap.

I then had it towed to another guy who couldn't fix it.

The 3rd guy finally figured it out. Someone had installed a second security system. Apparently the 1st one was broken. Whoever did the job had no clue what they were doing. I don't know all of the details, but I guess the wiring was pretty bad. He had to take the whole dash/steering column apart. A lot of wires were in the wrong places, some were cut, pinched, twisted, etc....

Now I get to fix the hole in the floor that I found on my way home. (carpeting caught fire, hole is right over the exhaust, wasn't fun.) God knows what this is gonna cost me. :angry:

It also has the typical pathfinder manifold problem.

I should have just bought a new one.

Man I am sorry to hear that. Actually my 90 was haveing simular problems, and I removed the aftermarket alarm, (not original) and my problems were solved. Also, I removed the reciever hitch wireing, because they did the worst job installing. But yeah, it cost me nothing but time. Also, a lot of problems you discribed honestly sound like an alternator the is overcharging, which can happen. But yeah, glad it's back on the road, for the manifold problem, thorleys all the way. So nice... I need some for mine.. .:)... but good luck w/ the machine!!!

• 4 weeks later...