Removing the TCase Shifter

Spolar93

Gotta pretty good diagram on pg. 9-16 Haynes repair manual. It is bolted to the "cross shift shaft". It doesn't say if it can be reached from inside the cab. I will scan and e-mail you a PDF from work tommorow. If anyone has the book and access to scanner at home they are welcom to beat me to it.

The shifter can be removed two ways.

1. Unbolt the shifter detent cage from the t-case from underneath, then unbolt the shifter and linkage and pop it up and out from the top with the linkage attached.

2. Unbolt the shifter cage from the t-case, then remove the small rubber boot at the base of the shifter, remove a single c-clip, then pull the shifter up and out by itself, leaving the linkage still attached to the t-case.

Here, have a pic. Or two. Or six. This is Ramithepimp's Pathy.

The body is lifted, and now the t-case shifter is too short. Totally unmodified in this pic.

tcaseshifter1.jpg

Unscrew the shift knob if possible. (They glue 'em on, so it's usually pretty tough to get off.) Remove your leather boot, then remove the metal trim ring holding the rubber boot to the floor. Slide the rubber boot up the shifter so it's out of your way. Most of the time the rubber boot will already be split and falling apart, so it comes off pretty easily.

tcaseshifter2.jpg

View of shifter and shift detent cage. Detent cage(RED arrow) is bolted to the t-case with two bolts. Remove it. Note the small grimy rubber boot(GREEN arrow) around the base of the shifter with a zip tie holding it on. Clip off the zip tie and slide the boot up out of the way or slit it so it will come up more easily.

tcaseshifter3.jpg

Remove the exposed c-clip as pictured at base of shifter while pushing down slightly to allow some movement of the clip. The shifter is spring-loaded. Keep your hand on it so it doesn't pop out and surprise you with grease.

tcaseshifter4.jpg

Pull shifter carefully up and out. Watch out for the spring and accompanying grease.

tcaseshifter5.jpg

Shifter is now in your hand and you can do whatever you want with it.

tcaseshifter6.jpg

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. :)

It's tougher for me to explain things like that in an IM conversation cause I have to type it all up on the spot, and I'm already tired of typing because my GF has been talking to me nonstop. :)

When I post the info in a thread I can take my time, edit and fix stuff, and generally get it all in a row. Thank you for your patience and support!

i'm lookin at 9-16, and i'm completely lost. if anyone can tell me in laymans terms, or with a picture, i'd appreciate that.

88 should be ashamed for making Haynes Manual so useless. I'm going to put it on top of the phone book that raises the monitor.

Good write-up! :clap: