Changing Rotors

jaca

Could somebody advise me on changin rotors ,I started ones but got as far as removing hex bolts from hub and then was not sure if sould continue on my own.

Do i need special tools ? is it hard to to on driveway?(have air compessor and tools).

Pathy is first car/truck i have which rotors does not warp ( do not feel pulsing when braking).They're just worn, i know need to be changed.What is best brand and source (price)to buy rotors??? thks for any help

jaca

rotors arnt supposed to be warped

brakes shouldnt pulse.......

do you have a manual? haynes is the only one i know of. its mostly crap, due to covering bout 20 years of pathy in one book, but there IS some good info in there.

youve pulled the allen key bolts, pull the locking hub out the way. remove the axel c clip & pre load nut from the axel then every thing just pulls out. be careful to remember which order you pull stuff out. also be careful removing the bearing race's, you damage them and you will have to buy new wheel bearing kits. and also you need to put the right amount of pre-load back on the wheel bearings when you put it back together.

the best way to remove the bearing race's is once you have the rotor off the car, clean out all the old grease then use a piece of solid brass tube and a beefy hammer. move the brass rod round the race in a circular motion, so it comes out straight. once the race is out inspect, if all is ok then put it in the new rotor. a large socket can be a bit more helpful for getting the race back in, as it has a bit more surface area then the brass rod. again going in a circluar motion is key. you need to get it in straight.

the job isnt really hard if you have some idea how to turn spanners.

i think some of the guys will agree with me - the front hubs are pretty basic but the first time you pull em apart it will take you all day to get things right. the more you do it the better you get. i could have hubs apart and back together in about half an hour.

Edited by sw

It's not that bad if you have a manual, you're careful, take your time and have a torque wrench to work with for reassembly. If you're missing any of those things, you might find someone that's done it before to help you out a bit.

Thnks SW ,I'll get a book .Do they have exploded view there.This usely helps with many little things.Do i need special plyers to remove this clip holding everythig there .

I know rotors not supposed be warped,they just do with time and heat.

Thats what was hapening in my prievious cars.This is not big warp but you feel it while brake.Im suppraised this aint happing with pathy ,thats what i notice. Thanks again SW.