05-06 running board removal

jb77

I thought I would ask before attempting this myself. Has anyone tried removing their factory running boards? I was going to do it myself but I got lazy, then I was going to hire a mechanic my brother knows but he dosen't seem interested in making some money so I guess I'll just do it myself. If anyone has done this already and could let me know how it went I would appreciate it. I couldn't imagine it being too difficult but I haven't looked underneath the truck yet.

When I attempt this I'll take some pics in case anyone is interested.

If they are anything like the step rails on the rest of Nissan's trucks, you have a pretty easy job ahead of you.... I'd say save your $$ and have a looksie under the truck.

Shouldnt take you too long... I would assume it's a matter of a few bolts on either side. I dont know about yours, but I know the Xterra ones are wey lighter in weight than what they look like.

I will suggest that when you do remove them, thread the bolts back into the truck where you got them from, then if you ever want to put the step rails back on, the holes wont be full of crap (esp useful for those who offroad!)

Good idea. I did the same thing with the splash guards when I removed them. Just put the screws back in. Even without off roading it those running boards are a pain, unless you like dirty pant legs. They are just a resting place for snow and mud.

I thought I would ask before attempting this myself. Has anyone tried removing their factory running boards? I was going to do it myself but I got lazy, then I was going to hire a mechanic my brother knows but he dosen't seem interested in making some money so I guess I'll just do it myself. If anyone has done this already and could let me know how it went I would appreciate it. I couldn't imagine it being too difficult but I haven't looked underneath the truck yet.

When I attempt this I'll take some pics in case anyone is interested.

Please take pics. I need to know how to do it since I want to remove mine also.

I will not have time until after the 8th, so hopefully I'll get a chance on the 12th to attempt removing them. I'll take plenty of pics. I tried to take a look underneath today and it looks like either three bolts on each side or three sets of bolts. I couldn't get a decent look without crawling underneath.

I saw pics of your off roading adventure, RIKK, how does she handle? It looked like a blast.

Pezzy, I looked at your pics too, looked like a lot of fun! I wish we had snow like that here.

Thanks for the info!

• 2 weeks later...

The running boards are off! :D The task took about 30 minutes total. All you need is a socket set w/ 10 & 12mm sockets. 10MM is for the srews that hold the brackrt to the bottom of the board and the 12mm is for the nuts that hold the upper part of the bracket to the underbody. A total of 12 bolts and 12 screws. The attched link shows some of the pics. Any questions let me know.

Thanksrunning boards