Bad Idle

NissanPerson

My brother just bought a 94 Pathfinder (that makes 4 of 'em in our family now) and is trying to figure out what is wrong with his. I searched the forum for a couple different things (surging included) and he's checked or replaced most items it says in those posts. I keep telling him I bet it's the O2 sensor but he says he checked it. I think he should put a new one in :-D but what do brothers know??? Anyway, when in N or P it idles fine when the engine is cold. BUT, if you throw it in gear it surges like crazy (I'm assuming the load has something to do with it). Once the engine warms up it's fine. You guys think he should start replacing MAF, TPS, O2, and everything else I found in the search (he did testing on most things with his multimeter...he's an engineer...and checking grounds, connections, etc.) or does anybody have a better guess??? He doesn't like spending money but I told him he just bought the thing so replace everything and at least you know where you're at.

THanks!

i've got an 87 and until its warm it'll idle at like 2k and when it starts getting warm itll go between that and 800 until its warm and then it stays at 800...i asked my buddy about it who owns a junkyard and he said every nissan truck he's had (that was manual) did that so i donno? i've always assumed it was just trying to warm the motor up faster and once it was warm it'd kickdown

Yeah, I have an 88 and the thing rev's like mad on cold mornings...saw it go up to 2100rpm once when it was near -50C outside and then once it's warm it kicks down to about 8-900rpm. I don't like the sound of it but I'm not sure how to reduce the RPM's at early idle.

guys, those aren't surges though. 2k+ rpms don't sound right either. mine high idles around 1200-1500 and low idle around 700. those are about the same numbers i was getting on my '89.

nissanperson, cleaning the maf maybe the thing to do first. O2 could bad but it runs good when cold and crappy when it warms up... those were the symptoms on my 94 anyway..

any ECU codes? (sticky in the garage)