Noob with a long road ahead

Guest SLOPOKE

Guest SLOPOKE

Hello all,

Since I joined today, I though I would say hello.

As of today I picked up a White '90 SE-V6 5sp 4wd, with a blown head gasket.

I got my shopping list made up, and sent to autozone so hopefully if things go good I will have her on the road within the next week or so.

I have searched through the forums and I think I have a good idea about the parts I need to buy for this. So far I have the head gaskets (duh), water pump and gaskets, t-stat, timing belt and tensioner, intake gaskets, manual, and a couple little odds and ends. Is there anything else I should look into purchasing since I am going to have the engine torn apart?

I can't wait to get this project started, autozone should have my parts in on tuesday, and the 'finder is already in the garage.

One more thing, how hard is it to rebuild a door lock? The tumblers inside are very loose and it's very hard to unlock the truck.

Thanks!!

hello and welcome and good luck with the project. If yer gunna have yours basically tore down like I have mine, it would be worth the investment to get this OEM kit (see linky dink). I got it and they were a PLEASURE to deal with and my parts came in perfect condition and delivered as promised. it has everything you need and more!

for your 90, it should be the same kit. mine is a 92. ;)

http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/product372.html

Welcome! WAVEY

2 door or 4 door? VG30E or I engine (the I will have a circular air cleaner perched directly on top of the engine whereas the E has an air box). 90 pathys are an interesting breed as they represent both the switch from the 2 door body style to the 4 door and the switch from the VG30I V6 to the VG30E V6.

Well it will be hard to check for exhaust leak without a running engine, but unless you know for a fact that the previous owner replaced the exhaust studs then you probably have an exhaust leak at the headers. The stock manifold studs were VERY weak and broke easily. This causes an exhaust leak marked by a distinct ticking noise at start up that dissapears once the engine warms up. They need to be replaced with the revised 300zx exhaust studs, and removing broken ones is a pain in the neck. Might as well replaced the manifolds with headers while you're at it if you have the money. Get Thorley headers, they're the best.

Hope we can answer any and all questions you have! :aok:

Guest SLOPOKE
2 door or 4 door? VG30E or I engine

4 Door, and VG30E, a true 1990 vehicle. The build ticket says 8/19/90 for the build date.

I'm going to start taking everything apart this weekend and see what trouble I can cause. One thing I have noticed was that the torque on the head bolts is not as much as I would imagine. On the VW's and other engines I have rebuilt you need to torque it down to close to 100 ft/lbs!

I remember seeing a page that had the alarm manual? My manual dosn't cover it, it dosn't even have the spot on the dash for the switch, but the switch is there.

Also is there any good resources for repairing the rear gate? Mine is stuck closed, and the latch seem's to be the problem.

Thanks Guys!

Guest SLOPOKE

I hope guninness is good enough ;) If that dosn't cut it I have a bottle of single barrel jack-d to make me sleep after a long days work :)

We got our new front loading washer and dryer today so I had to move the finder, so the installers could access our back door. I don't like starting her in her current state (blown headgasket), but it really makes me want to get her going.