VG33E on VQ40DE Tranny?

Guest CanadianGTR

Guest CanadianGTR

Just wondering if the VG33E bolts up to the VQ40DE Tranny.

Or if the VQ40DE bolts to the VG33E tranny.

Basically, are the VG and VQ bell housings the same.

Thanks. :D

Although anything can be done with enough money and knowledge, VQ and VG engines are of different families. I seriously doubt that transmissions would be interchangable, and even if the bolt patterns were close, the engine/transmission computers wouldn't like this combo.

Guest CanadianGTR

I figured as much...

I'm just looking at swap options at this point. I don't really want to keep the VG33E if I can avoid it. So I was thinking of buying a 00/01 X with super high mileage, and swapping in something more interesting. I'm looking into Nissan Turbo Diesel engines (YD25/ZD30/TD42 - TD42 is an i6 though so I don't know if it would fit).

I would just need the engine and ECU (+ the tranny/t-case) if it doesn't bolt up).

Just a thought.

(I posted it up here because the question was pathfinder related, now it's kinda off topic... so you guys can lock it)

Edited by CanadianGTR

If you can source diesel motors with wiring harnesses and trannies I know people that would certainly be extremely interested. So far all our searches have turned nothing. Why are you trying to swap the motor in the first place and in which vehicle? You're somewhat vague... :unsure:

Edited by Filthy Luker

Guest CanadianGTR

Sorry about that... I'll be picking up a 00/01 Xterra once I sell the rest of my fleet of cars. I also have a 93 Pathy SE that (provided I can find a source for engines) will be getting a TD27 from a 93 Terrano.

As for the harness, I was just going to make up a wiring jig and do my own during my spare time.

I'm waiting on my buddies in Australia/NZ to get back to me about whether or not they can source TD engines. At first I thought most could be found in Japan, but I was wrong... aside from a few older generation diesel engines, it's slim pickins in Japan. Most of the motorsets would have to come from Australia/New Zealand/elsewhere.

Guest CanadianGTR
We were looking at Brasil ourselves. Also Land Rover diesels might be something to look at, appearantly their 2.8 TD derives from the Nissan 2.7 TD.

Yeah apparently Nissan Diesel engines are a popular swap into the rovers overseas, and vise versa.

I'll keep you posted on how the hunt for diesel engines pans out.

have a look at the VH41DE. I don't know what pathy your have now, but the VG30 has a Jatco RE4R01A whilst the VH41DE has a Jatco RE4R03A transmission. These transmissions have the same bolt pattern, and the swap can be done by retaining the bellhousing from the new engine. You could also look into the single turbo VG30ET out of an 80s 300zx.

I have seen both these conversions done...funnily enough by the same guy. He uses the turbo truck to tow his v8 race truck :)