coil spacers

Guest -mako-

Hi hey Ive got a friend who can turn up some coil spacers for me all I need is to supply the material and measurements.

On a tight budget here so wanted to see if I would save $ getting some made myself instead of purchasing some pre made ones.

This is for a 92 5dr.

What I need to know is what material can be used to make the spacers out of? also if anyone has measurements or am I better off getting under the back end and trying to measure the coils myself.

Anything that can take compressive loads without cracking or splitting.

- steel

- aluminum

- brass/copper/bronze

- iron

- Most dense/tough self lubricating plastics would work - any teflon, UHMWPE, delrin, etc. Cutting board material (PE) works quite well! If you can clamp it in a vise and hit it with a hammer without it shattering, it will likely work.

Sheet PVC would be questionable, as would ABS. They are too brittle. Polycarbonate may be OK, but it may wear too fast.

And if you live in a real cold climate, you want to research how the plastic performs in cold. Some get brittle.

Heck, even marine grade plywood would probably work.

I'm going to use some Polyprene 'cuz I have a cheap source and I know how tough it is. It is an alloy of polyethylene and polypropylene.

Thanks for your time in typing that wide range of products :) I can start looking around now.

Will get back with what I am able to find and fabricate.