Replacing an ECU

dagwoodzz

Guys I'm trying to buy a '92 Pathy that was flooded in Katrina. I want it for the rims and bumper. Talking to the owner, It flooded the ECU but not the air in-take. Before I started robbing parts I feel like I should at least try to see if she will run. The Junkyard by my house has a '92 with an ECU. How difficult would it be for a novice to make this swap or should I just plan on getting it for parts.

My plans are to drain, flush, replace fluids, turn motor and flush with Varsol. If no rust in cylinders, and before trying to swap ECU spray all electrical components with LPS contact cleaner see what happens.

If no action and can successfully figure out how to replace ECU, again see what happens after ecu replacement.

If nothing happens still, rob truck for parts, see if Junkyard will buy engine and transmission.

As far as I know, it's simply a matter of unplugging the connectors, and plugging them into the new ECU. Make sure the ECU out of the donor pathy has the same type of tranny, and you should be fine.

before you go to cranking it up, while your draining all the fluids, take out the spark plugs and give the engine a few turns. you can use teh starter for that..just unplug your fuel pump or something..your just wanting to make sure you get the water out. leave the plugs out for a couple days or something and coat the inside with WD-40 or the like to prevent rust in the mean time.

also there might be a secondary computer under the head unit. i forget what this is for..but i have one in my 91..and i know its not an auto-tranny computer. maybe for the ABS?