Throw out bearing noise

Guest Big Jim Swade

Guest Big Jim Swade

My 92 Pathfinder SE-V6, Manual Transmission (155,000 miles) started making a Whirring sound when I step on the clutch. It only happens some times and is worse in colder weather. I am thinking the throw out bearing is going out but I can't figure out where the noise is really coming from. Is the noise from the bearing spinning on the Pressure Plate Fingers or is it something else. And why would it only occur occassionally. How long can one go before total falure?

Mine's done the same for years. It is the throwout bearing, as you said. The problem seems to be the grease in the bearing (what is left) getting old. When it warms, the grease loosens up and lubricates the bearing, quieting it down again. As for how long it will last, who knows. On most cars I would say, on average, no more than 1K miles (depending on how much shift), but as I said, mine has been doing this for years (off and on). I'll be replacing it within the next several months (preventive maintenace clutch job), so I may never know how long I could have gone. ;)

Edited by Animal

I'd second Animal. Mine made a noise off and on for quite a while, but when if finally gave up it was pretty sudden. Something just stuck one day, and I couldn't shift and the clutch wouldn't engage. I stopped, shut her off, ran through the gears over and over and rocked the truck, and it finally let lose. Drove the old girl home and then to the shop. They remarked that the clutch was gone, stuff was badly worn, and they were surpised I actually drove it in. :rolleyes: 130K miles on the original one works for me.

I'd second Animal. Mine made a noise off and on for quite a while, but when if finally gave up it was pretty sudden. Something just stuck one day, and I couldn't shift and the clutch wouldn't engage. I stopped, shut her off, ran through the gears over and over and rocked the truck, and it finally let lose. Drove the old girl home and then to the shop. They remarked that the clutch was gone, stuff was badly worn, and they were surpised I actually drove it in. :rolleyes: 130K miles on the original one works for me.

You said the shop remarked about the clutch, did they say anything about the throwout? Also, did the noise become more regular before going out? Just curious.

BTW, I've had over 200K on 2 previous Nissan PUs and now close to 150K on my Pathy, all with original clutches - so far.

• 2 months later...

When I bought my pathy the throwout bearing made the same noise. Destroyed the clutch twice since before the bearing went, and within six months of replacement, the bearing was making the same noise. The clutch went because mud and grit was getting in around the clutch fork shroud and getting between the fingers and plate. Fixed this by sealing around the shroud with some heavy duty gasket in a tube type stuff. Still got the noise though, but clutch is intact. 94 V6

Al