Need Help removing Dash Pieces

Harbinger

I was wondering if anyone could give me a break down on how to remove the dash from these vehicles.

I've gotten as far to remove:

Glove box (only because it was already broken)

Metal Plate behind Glove box

Center Dash cover/piece

Climate controls face

Center Dash Vent Face

I'm not sure how to take the rest of it out -- I'd pry a little more on my own, but the plastic is so brittle I'm worried I'd break it if the exact procedure wasn't followed.

The main part I need is the area around the steering column/drivers side -- I need to find out where some of my mystery wires are coming from. :confused:

And I might add a WTF in relation to our search function -- I searched for this and ended up with completely un-related findings on every try

Edited by Harbinger

here here haynes are pathetic...

well if your 87 is the same as my 88, to which ive had the dash out twice.

if youve gone as far as you can with the centre console, proceed as follows. i assume youve taken the radio out.

first start with the steering trim - should be a bunch of screws on the under side of it, take them out then it should click apart.

the instrament cluster front trim - 5 screws, three along the TOP - on the under side of it. & one in each corner down the bottom. remove them and you should just be able to pull the trim out.

the instrament cluster. 4 screws should be now visible. remove them and the cluster comes out.

metal trim under the windscreen - from memory...... should 'unclick' with the help of a big flat bladed screw drive. dont quote me on this, its a little shaddy. it was a while ago when i did it.

once the metal trim is out the way. it reveals 4 big bolts, again i think..., take them out. from memory theres a few bolts on each side of the dash as well. i recall getting to them from either the hole in the side of the dash where the ac hole is, once the fancey peice of plastic is removed or through the hole where the glove box used to be. after this point my advice would be make sure everything is free in the centre of the dash, then work on one side of the dash until its free, once you get to this point work on the other side unitl youve got it out.

this is the process of used twice now on the pathy, and am considering using it a third time to find out what the IRRITATING squeek is from the dash board, durring hot weather, when the dash board expends etc.

hope this helps somewhat

Edited by sw

You do not have to remove the dash cluster for the dash to come out. The same goes for those horrid and fragile dash vents. They can stay in too.

You will also have to remove the plastic covers on the "A" pillars and peel back the rubbery protection trim to get the dash out proper.

There are also 2 bolts either end of the dash (underneath) that have to come out. You will also have to unbolt the fuse block and main dash loom (behind the fuses). I am unsure whether the US models have the same loom conection. All bolts are 10mm. Do not remove any screws that are covered by the metal trim just the 10mm bolts. Some are buggers to get a purchase on.

Also the steering wheel has to come off and the wiper and indicator stalks should be removed or you will not get the dash out past them.

The little vents on the sides of the dash have to come out to get the dash back in. They sort of open like a door kindathing.

I do remember writing a detailed essay about the dash removal some time ago but I can not find it. Once you are practiced in its removal it should only take you about 10 or 15 minutes to remove.

steering wheel does not need to come out!

drop the two bolts that hold it up, then its a piece of cake.

good point about the fagile vents and the unbolting the fuse box.

steering wheel does not need to come out!

drop the two bolts that hold it up, then its a piece of cake.

good point about the fagile vents and the unbolting the fuse box.

I would never attempt to remove the dash with the steering wheel in place. Those two bolts are not the only thing holding up the column, the base plate also holds it up. It is not advisable to be pushing or forcing down the column either. You can damage the seal on the base plate to fire wall and also oval out the penatration through the plate that the column passes through.

At the end of the day, it will be his call as to how he gets the dash out of the car. For my money, the wheel comes off and the stalks are removed. It takes all of a few seconds to do and will save alot of time, not to mention effort and frustration with trying to manoeuvre the dash around to get it out.

I'm in the process of removing my dash also (funnily enough to find this ANNOYING squeak!)

So far i've, removed the dash surround and cluster, removed my roll over meter (its a jdm terrano), removed glovebox, removed stereo, removed metal plate from the front of dash, removed the side airvents.

I cant find any screws/bolts down the sides of the dash, only the ones on the underside.

Plus another question, it looks like its in two parts, the soft vinyl on top that ajoins the plastic underneath. I cant for the life of my seperate the two (do they?)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I successfully removed all my dash and its actually very easy to do.

So if anyone needs a hand you can message me B)

But I still didnt eliminate that bloody rattle/squeak!!!!!!!

My whole 2 days of work basically useless. So i've decided its not in the interior but maybe under that panel above the bonnet, like a windscreen wiper motor lose or something.

I must say, removing and installing the dash using thick double sided tape on the mounting points did eliminate alot of smaller rattles and knocks

Well I successfully removed all my dash and its actually very easy to do.

So if anyone needs a hand you can message me B)

But I still didnt eliminate that bloody rattle/squeak!!!!!!!

My whole 2 days of work basically useless. So i've decided its not in the interior but maybe under that panel above the bonnet, like a windscreen wiper motor lose or something.

I must say, removing and installing the dash using thick double sided tape on the mounting points did eliminate alot of smaller rattles and knocks

The squeek is more than likely from broken spot welds. They can be hard to find.

Plus another question, it looks like its in two parts, the soft vinyl on top that ajoins the plastic underneath. I cant for the life of my seperate the two (do they?)

Thanks  :)

So you must have read what I said about this very thing just two posts earlier.

Do not remove any screws that are covered by the metal trim just the 10mm bolts.

I found the bloody squeek was coming from the metal clips on the panel that covers the front pillar (A pillar). I fixed it but as someone else pointed out when the weather is hot the dash squeeks somewhere right next to it. Like a bloody little cricket living the dash. Grrrrrrrrrr