Chronic Tire Feathering

Z_Pilot

What is causing my tires to feather?

I purchased my rig a few months ago and it had newer tires. It is not lifted. The front tires were feathered when I got it (feathered so bad the whole pathy vibrated rolling down the highway) :angry:

Shortly after I purchased it, I had the dealership go through it and inspect all of the steering \ front suspension components. They said everything looked good, including the balljoints (keep in mind that this is a dealer that would love to unnecessarily replace parts). The centerlink apears straight. At this time I had the tires rotated...the unfeathered rears went up front. I also had an alignment done. Things were better for a while (vibration from feathered tires that were moved to the rear subsided slightly) until recently things got bad again. I looked at the front tires closely and they are feathering :angry::angry:

What's causing this?

Balljoints?

Centerlink?

Worn Bushings?

:help:

Z

What is causing my tires to feather?

I purchased my rig a few months ago and it had newer tires. It is not lifted. The front tires were feathered when I got it (feathered so bad the whole pathy vibrated rolling down the highway) :angry:

Shortly after I purchased it, I had the dealership go through it and inspect all of the steering \ front suspension components. They said everything looked good, including the balljoints (keep in mind that this is a dealer that would love to unnecessarily replace parts). The centerlink apears straight. At this time I had the tires rotated...the unfeathered rears went up front. I also had an alignment done. Things were better for a while (vibration from feathered tires that were moved to the rear subsided slightly) until recently things got bad again. I looked at the front tires closely and they are feathering :angry::angry:

What's causing this?

Balljoints?

Centerlink?

Worn Bushings?

:help:

Z

Feathering is a condition when the edge of each tread rib develops a slightly rounded edge on one side and a sharp edge on the other. By running your hand over the tire, you can usually feel the sharper edges before you'll be able to see them. The most common cause of feathering is incorrect toe-in setting, which can be cured by having It set correctly. Occasionally toe-in will be set correctly and this wear pattern still occurs. This is usually due to deteriorated bushings in the front suspension, causing the wheel alignment to shift as the car moves down the road

post-1-1137155754.gif

This is usually due to deteriorated bushings in the front suspension, causing the wheel alignment to shift as the car moves down the road

You wouldn't happen to have a list of bushings that I need to replace, woud you?

it is the centerlink my man.. i had the same problem.. no one could find it.. take the CL off and check it out.. it's almost impossible to tell with it on the truck.

Ill probably go with L&P's centerlink...thanks for the tip!

Thanks guys

:beer:

Z

• 1 month later...