Another steering wheel issue, '95 5spd

prginocx

My pathy was wrecked (Fender bender) on the RF corner. I did have the alignment done, and the steering wheel is still a little off center when I'm driving straight down the road.

Alignment shop guy says that cannot be fixed 'cause the steering wheel only goes on to the shaft one way due to the air bag system ? The Haynes manual has a notation about how you really need to be careful to mark the position BEFORE pulling the steering wheel, so you can get it back on in the same exact position.

(They are also warning you not to hammer the steering shaft)

I'm thinking I want to pull the steering wheel, shift it about 20 degrees clockwise, and then re-mount it to fix this problem. I don't think this truck has air bags...I don't have a real Nissan manual.

Please tell me this is a good idea. Since I figured out the stereo wiring my confidence is pretty high....

P.S. What engineering genius decided to put the oil filter adjacent to the hottest engine component ? (It is OK for me to say that 'cause I'm an engineer) And what moron previous owner put the friggen filter on with the torque wrench setting on "Godzilla"...

I don't need the filter on that tight, right ? I just hand tightened it and it doesn't seem to leak...

You should get the alingment shop to fix it. This can be done by adjusting the tie rod ends *properly* as well as recentering the steering wheel. I'd let them decide and wouldn't pay them extra for what they should have done from the start.

You should get the alingment shop to fix it. This can be done by adjusting the tie rod ends *properly* as well as recentering the steering wheel. I'd let them decide and wouldn't pay them extra for what they should have done from the start.

i agree :aok:

100% on the money.

Yes to all of the above, and hand tight is fine... You need one of these filter wrenches. This one grips harder the more you rotate CCW and is entirely made up of 1/8 or 1/4" steel, 3/8 ratchet drive in the rear. Pretty cool item for an oil filter wrench... :D

B

post-6-1135205632.jpg

Well, it was the end of the day and I didn't realize it was still off center until I'd already paid and walked out the door. Then I went back and they gave me that story about the airbag "Can't be centered, it only mounts one way on the shaft due to the airbag".

I was pretty sure it didn't have an airbag....Guess I'll have to tackle it on my own. How do the Tie Rod ends affect the steering wheel being about 20 degrees to the left when the wheels are straight ?

Not sure about the '95's but my '90 is a spline (without airbag) shaft. You can take the steering wheel off and re-align. I would do what the others say. There is something causing the steering wheel to be off centre. I had a very slight outter tie rod that was bent and cause the steering wheel to be off centre. It tracked and drove straight though. You couldn't tell it was bent when it was on the truck, only after it was removed could you see a slight bend in it when compared to a good one. Have them or someone else check the outter tie rods.

:)