swaping LE seats to XE Chasis

98Chilkoot

So I found a complete set of leather seats from a 98 LE with low miles. I get the seats friday and the gauge panel above the shift for the heated seat buttons along with the harness. i'm wondering if anyone knows how hard this is going to be to wire up myself and if i have to remove the entire dash or can just remove the center part with the vents and insturment cluster. does anyone know if these seats have that driver memory where they adjust everytime you get in, any info on this would be great or any problems that you think i will run into.

Thanks Rob Rez

Edited by 98Chilkoot

hey chil,

i have a 97 qx4 with motorized seats/heaters. i myself don't think it'd be a hard job once you find the main Acc/on positive circuit line to tap into...or better yet, look in the service manual for the wiring diagrams, maybe pathies w/o the heated seats option already have the available connections/harnesses (there's another post somewhere here with pdf files of service manuals for all pathy years/models...well worth the download--i'll look for it and then post the link). i'd use some heavy duty gauge wiring as it may be the case that the heaters draw a large current. placing wire underneath the carpet to reach under the seat for the motors is not bad either. also, i don't have seat position memory, but maybe that's an option available upon purchase...i wouldn't know as i bought my pathy used.

I saw some posts on this awhile back about the models without power/heated seats having the connectors under the carpet however they weren't just plug and play. Let me know what you find out as I'd love to add leather to mine. BTW, how much did you pay for front and rear seats if you don't mine me asking.

I did this to my XE...what a sweet upgrade!! My only downer was that my heat didn't work so I have to get new seat heaters to put in. I did go find oem switches to put in. I just ran a seperate circut for the seats on a heavy grade wire so that they could draw whatever current they wanted.

Edited by 98silverpathy

good to know!... can i ask where you ran the circuit from?, i'm not the best with electrical, and have problems reading electrical diagrams but i'm sure i can figure this one out, it doesn't sound to complicated.

To answer a few queations asked: i paid 350 CND. they aren't mint but they are in nice shape a little wear on the drivers seat, no tears, just average wear. All the wiring, connections, and switches are included, tomorrow i will be picking them up, i'll try taking some pictures.

thanks everyone!

I used a car stereo amplifier kit with 8 ga wire and a distibution block. I ran the fused power cable from the battery, through the firewall where my clutch pedal would have been and inside the center console where I made it pop out by the driver side chair rail. This is where the distibution block is, so that I could divide and fuse each seat. the power runs back under the console to get to the pass. seat. I used one of the chairs bolts for the ground for each.

For the heated part, I used the factory switches and (from the same distribution block) powered the switches. I simply fed the switch and matched wire colors up to that from the seats. I figured that if the factory used such small wire to heat the seats, there was a purpose...like resistance!! The heaters are a dead short, so maybe that is why they picked the size wire they did! You will notice that the switches are both different..one sits in a white housing and one in a blue housing...............white (drivers) and blue (passenger), they cannot be swapped or you won't see the wire colors line up with the seats!

If you have any other questions PM me, just remember that my seats heaters are beat so I hope that yours work great!! It shouldn't be hard to switch the heatin elements just time consuming and also you have to pick which element to spend the $$$ on!! :aok: