"Plastic Parts"

KevinKernaghan

1995 XE 2WD, 120K

To quote the Tech section:

"The mechanical assembly connecting the lock cylinder itself to the inner door lock and armatures are mated by the use of small plastic parts that wear out and then break over time. Disassembling the door panel, then replacing the lock parts is the appropriate fix for this problem."

Does anybody have a description of these parts and a source? How much do they cost? Can they be replaced easily? Do I ask too many questions?

My driver's side door lock is busted...the power locks still work, if i open the passenger door. However, the linkage from the lock cylinder to the locking mechanism is busted...Any tips? The locks have been acting really squirrely since I bought the car, but they never unlocked the car on their own, so I let them be....until now.

This was in a previous post, but I worded it incorrectly so I didn't get much of a response. It won't hurt my feelings if anyone deletes it...labeled: "Uh-oh."

Thanks,

Kevin Kernaghan

Mine are straight mechanical, but I believe it uses a similar part. My passenger side "little plastic part designed to wear out and break" broke about 5 years ago, so I fabricated a replacement part from some aluminum stock - now it is a "little metal part designed to never wear or break" - and haven't had a problem since. I am waiting on the driver's "little plastic part" to go.

I am certain this would be a dealer only item. Whether or not they are in stock in some warehouse is another question.

Driver's Side door....

:oops: :oops: :oops: BUSTED!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Put me on the list Animal when you get your factory of "Nissan Door Parts Designed Specifically Not To Wear Or Break For The Duration Of Approximately One Lifetime" up and running.

Dowser

Dowser, isn't he supposed to test it by setting it on fire, dropping it 5 stories and then working it over with a BFH first (something like that) ? Or are your standards slipping ??  :D

B

Meeting those standards is going to cost extra - a lot extra. ;)

yeah...my drivers side plastic POS broke as well about 2 years ago. i doubt ill ever replace it, probably either continue to use the passenger side to unlock it all or ill get keyless entry.

Had the dealer replace my door lock mecanisms twice under warranty, but now it's on my dime: I bought a remote lock kit (with remote starter) and haven't used the key since.

IMHO, remote locks are the way to go because the (mid-90's ?) lock mechanisms are pure sh*te. I'm thinking hard about fabricating my own, though (thanks for the idea DSM_guy!)

Cheers!

Gary

Edited by 94 Pathy Gary

Your Right Precise. I was going to mention that, but figured naturally if he was going to start a business he would have that kind of Warranty. Now that I see that he may want a lot of extra cost for this.. Hmmm Well I'll have to think it over. Perhaps you could make them out of a Titanium alloy Forged in the Heart of the Mount Doom. That would be a bit more reasuring. My Standards have definitely not slipped. If anything they are getting more Serious ever since I got hung up on a Rail Road Tie. Thinking of adding that the said product has to be able to split a Rail Road Tie in 2. I'll have to see.

Dowser