High Endurance Oils

KevinKernaghan

As I understand it, the high endurance or synthetic oils have a longer molecule chain than dino oils. That means that they take longer to break down than the shorter molecule chains from the shear factor, therefore providing 'longer lasting' lubrication. One thing it does not account for (other than the filter change intervals) is the oil fouling due to gasoline/exhaust blow by that occurs in all engines. I'm not an expert on this, but it seems that running oil 10,000 miles will mean it is heavily contaminated, regardless of the lubricity, although that must suffer also. I prefer to run dino oil and change it every 3000 miles max. I can see using hybrid/synth oils in the drive train components though. It makes far more sense there where the high temp and blow by factors are not an issue. :shrug:

B

i dunno, them presenting it as a new idea is a crock. newer dino oil can last 5000 nowdays. syn blend a little longer, and full syn even longer. so you look at the 3 levels they offer. 5, 10, 15 thousand miles...well there you go, they offer just reg old dino, syn blend, and full syn and try to maket it off as some new innovation. any one of the 3 types will last just as long from another competitor, its just most people dont know that.

but yeah, i dunno that id wanna let my filter go that long

If I am correct, the 5k and 7500 mile oil is dino, but I could be wrong. The 15k is full synth. I still prefer the regular mobil 1 for the pathy and change it every 5k. I should really realize the benefits now since the heads, cams, rods, rings, etc... are all new. Hopefully I will see a lot less wear.

In my S4, I just started using Amsoil which is good for 25k - 35k miles, however I will still change it every 5. I switched because from what I have seen, the Amsoil pumps at lower temps, can withstand high temps (I have twin tubos which are oil cooled) and has less wear than Mobil 1. I most likely will not dish out the additional money to switch from Mobil1 to Amsoil for the pathy. Swallowing $8.75 a quart x 6.5 quarts is a little much. At least 5k miles takes a long time to come around now since I don't drive all that much. I changed my oil the first weeked of this month and I haven't hit 1000 miles yet.

I also use a Mobil 1 Filter. I haven't seen anything bad about them. I would like to try a K&N, but they aren't availble for my S4. I can get one for the Pathy though.

Edited by wheel366

My S4 takes 6.5. I'm not sure how much the pathy is going to take after the relocation kit is installed. I was thinking another quart for the oil filter and maybe 1/2 to 1 quart for the hoses. Maybe 5.5 - 6.

Because the S4 turbos are oil cooled, it has a higher capacity than the pathy.

Edited by wheel366