Speaker Replacement

KevinKernaghan

1995 2WD WD21, 121K

My girlfriend is getting me some new speakers for my Pathy this Christmas, however I'm going to install them. All 4 are 5x7s. I just need to know some more detailed information about replacing them.

My Pathfinder has the two speakers on the ceiling in the rear:

The How-To section states that these have to be pried off...however I just went out there to attempt it and it feels like I'm going to break them! If I pull hard enough, do they break or are they a snap-in part? Are we removing the mesh part of the grille or the mesh and its plastic surround?

I figured I should ask about these since apparently not every Pathfinder has these ceiling speakers...

My Pathfinder also has the two door speakers in front:

Does this require disassembly of the door or can part of the grille be removed without damaging it? I'm not in too big of a mood to take the door panels off, but if anyone has recommendations, I'd be glad to hear them. Or you can redirect me to another post, whatever.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

I just replaced all four of my speakers. There are a couple of things that can be difficult.

On the front doors, the speakers go in easy, but the panels can be tough. They use a special prying tool at the stereo shops. Just be careful, ot the clips will break. Also, I have a 95 SE and my front speakers are 5X7. I know this for sure because I bought 4X6 and had to return them.

The back speakers were worse. Mine are also in the ceiling. Pry the gaurd off, its easier than it seems. The problem is that most new speakers dont fit correctly. I tried 5 different brands and none of them fit because the cone shaped gaurd attached to the magnet of the speaker is too big to fit in the existing hole. I tried to cut the car, but that didn't really work (not the right saw). If the speaker is too big, but still can be screwed in, your gaurds won't fit. Eventually, I got frustrated at paid a really helpful, cool guy at Al and Ed's to install them.... pssd

He had to cut the car.

There may be a speaker out there that fits, but not Pioneer, JBL, Polk audio, or eclipse will fit without cutting.

I ended up with Polk up front and eclipse in the back.....sounds great. :beer:

I changed all the factory speakers on my daughter's '94. If I recall, a die grinder here & there made the grills fit right. A little silicone caulk or gasket material may have been deployed here & there as well. I don't recall now. I do recall that it appeared as if it all fit when I was done - kinda - mostly - she never noticed anyway

A panel tool is a great investment for DIY audio installs. Most decent parts stores sell them. It's the best $6 I ever spent on car audio, and saved me a few hundred cuss words.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/review...ngdoorpanel.jpg

Edited by Grumpy

There may be a speaker out there that fits, but not Pioneer, JBL, Polk audio, or eclipse will fit without cutting.

alpine 5x7 is an almost direct replacement.. napa has these $15/pr. ones that are exact replacement although not made by clarion but another comp in japan.. they even look the same.. of course paper cones suck!!

the tool is nice but i find it unnecesary.. butter knife or a flat screwdriver does a good job and i bet you already have either one or both at home.. B)

My Infinity Reference speakers are pretty much a drop in- or were, at least. Mine are several years old, about year 2000 or so. Why not just pull one each of the stockers, check for clearance, then take it with you when you're shopping. That would save a bunch of hassle.

uh, yea, I did that. The guy at Al and Ed's looked at the old speaker and told me that a few years ago, speakers with that shape became obsolete (good ones anyway, I'm sure you can get crap ones that fit). Maybe thats why your 2000's fit.?.

I took my speakers out, showed them to the guy, then took new speakers and tried to fit them in the hole.